Lawn Care Forum banner

hydro fluid changing

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NCSULandscaper 
#1 ·
it says in my owners manual that i am suppossed to change the oil in the hydro tranmission at 200 hours with 20w50 oil. it does not say how to change it, and do you replace the oil filter for the transmission the same way you do to an engine? The mower is a scag 48 hydro (2001)
Any help would be aprecciated
thanks matt

#2 ·
On my toro Z, I change it similiar to the oil. Heat up the fluid, drain fluid by taking off the hydro filter, spin wheels manually to force stuff out. Then fill it up most of the way, spin the wheels manually until they will spin on there own and fill it up the rest of the way. Make sure you check the fluid level after driving it a bit though.

#3 ·
On my tiger cub the dealer told me to remove the hose from the tank and let it drain out, replace the spin on filter and fill it before replacing it. Then jack up the rear of the mower and crank it. Slowly move handles forward and work the air out of the system. He said to jack it up and do this because it makes it easier on the pumps and motors to not have weight on them while the system doesnt have fluid in until it is primed and the air is worked out. hope this helps

#4 ·
thanks for all the relpies

#6 ·
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
You can also read the owners manual for the proper way.
If you would read his post, matth said, that his owners manual says what oil to use but not how to change it.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.