1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro keeps locking up?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SDlawndawg, Dec 16, 2002.

1. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, i had a brain freeze and said wobble plate but it is the swash plate. sounds like your hot on the trail. good luck.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Errr...... The only item I know of that's called a "swashplate" is the main control system on a Helicopter. Is there another name you have in mind???
    pete

3. khouse

now you know of at least 2 things that have a swash plate.

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I took the framework and access plate off and jacked up the mower on that side so I could run it back and forth. No problems but the linkage seemed to be stiff. I removed the dampener from the linkage and that made all the difference. The dampener is wore out and doesn't work properly. I think it's the culprit, I hope. Must have water in it or dirt or something. I think I'll replace the right-hand side dampener too while I'm at it.

Once I get the new parts on, I'll test it again by running it around the yard to make sure it works.

5. khouse

Switchless, there is a 3rd device that houses a swash plate. I remember on the farm on an old International harvester sickle mower ( belly mount on a 560) the box that ran the sickle had a swash plate in it. It wasn't the kind with a Pitman arm.

SDlawndawg, keep up the good work!

6. khouse

Pete what does "Errr..." mean? Also here is another complex mechinism that houses a swash plate of sorts.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/education/pages/swash.html

This is an edit to the above post: I just looked up "err" in the dictionary and it is there. I'm just a farm boy and would have better understood "error". I won't forget that word. Yes, I make mistakes all the time but it's my ability to overcome them that get's things working. I tell people that if I was perfect they couldn't afford me.

I try my hardest to help anyone that needs it here or otherwise. I often give the wrong advice but it's very hard for anyone to feel, hear,smell and see what is wrong with an engine with just these black letters we type. I already said I was wrong calling it a wobble and variable plate before you made your post. What else did you want me to say? Now with that said - I'm going to read any new post and offer advice if I think it will help.
    With respect, Kenny

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

Kenny- your advice is a big help along with everybody else's. Don't worry, I'm just a farmboy too and wasn't sure what err. meant either.