hydro oil recommendations

thejck

LawnSite Member
I have a 3-4 year old scag tiger cub that I never replaced the hydro oil in.
I am getting ready to do it and I am a little concerned.

Firstly I hope I have not ruined the drive system already :confused:

The manual says to use a 20w50 motor oil and replace it and the filter once a year or 500 hours.
I barely put 50 hours on it every year.
I am hoping to be able to do this once every 2-3 years instead.

I was thinking I could use a good quality synthetic like MObil 1 20w50 for motor cycles and that should be able to hold up better
Is this possible or am I asking for trouble.

I found a stens filter locally but to be safe I was thinking about going to the dealer and picking up a "scag" hydro filter that is recommended.
I guess there are other after market ones like I saw one made by WIX but that is more expensive than the scag one. (dealer has the filter for 20, oreiley has the wix for 25) Not sure what to do here.

Also on the 19HP Kawasaki motor.. if I use a synthetic oil on it can I run it for 2 years as well?

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
I would replace the fluid with Mobil 1 synthetic....and use a genuine Scag filter...
A few bucks difference really isn't worth it compared to the replacement costs of hydraulic components...
If you are only putting 50 hrs a year on the mower...I would only replace the hydro filter annually....not the fluid....once you have changed it to synthetic..then replace the fluid every 2 or 3 years...or when it gets dark in color.

As far as the engine....definitely change it at least once a year. Now that the engine is broken in.....its a good time to change it to synthetic...
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Trim

LawnSite Member
We use the synthetic fluild from J-Thomas in our equiment.

OP
T

thejck

LawnSite Member
I am going with Mobil1 V-Twin 20W-50 4-Cycle Motorcycle Oil for the Hydroloulic fluid.

Any recommendations on what syn oil to use for the engine?
I know it says 30w prefered but I belive I can go with a 10w30 with no problems correct. Any brand preference?

OP
T

thejck

LawnSite Member
i checked the manual again and it says i can use 10w30 or 10w40.
I see that mobil 1 makes a 10w40 oil for motor cycle vtwin engines. Compared to the regular 10w30 or 10w40 oil.
Will this make a difference in the kawasaki? or can i just stick with the 10w30 regular mobil 1 that i picked up?

jkingrph

LawnSite Senior Member
Regular 10w-30 Mobil l should be fine. I'm in a hotter part of the country, E Texas so I have been running 10w40 in mine a 26hp lc Kawasaki.

I just changed the Hydro fluid in my Scag Wildcat last week. A new filter was $21+tax here and I had put in a stock of Castrol 20w-50 full synthetic a few years back so had plenty for the change. I'm like you low hours yearly so my dealer said change it every 2-3 years which I have been doing. Mine was purchased new in 2006 so this is my third change, using the same oil each time. When I drained it it was a pretty and clean as when I installed it. I do not replace the filter yearly and have not had any problems

One thing that may contribute to lack of problems is that I store it in a well insulated shed and use an electric radiator in winter to keep temp around 50-55 minimum to prevent any condensation.
Be sure to fill the filter with oil before installing it on the mower, then top off the tank to the proper level. Start the engine and let it idle fore 5-10 minutes to purge air out of lines pumps and motors. If you just start it up and try to go it will not do anything until the hydralic system refilles itself and purges the air.

OP
T

thejck

LawnSite Member
I replaced my fluid yesterday. i used the mobil 1 20w50 oil. I did all the things you said and it took about 3 quarts. the filter ran me the same. I just went with the filter that the dealer gave me. dealer said every 3-4 years would be fine too.

i went with regular 10w-30 mobil 1 on the engine.

Now I am trying to get the grease gun going. I use a EP moly litium grease in the gun and I think this should be fine for all the grease points including the spindles?

Also I have to take the wheels off to get to the brake actuator fitting? What a nuisance.

jkingrph

LawnSite Senior Member
I replaced my fluid yesterday. i used the mobil 1 20w50 oil. I did all the things you said and it took about 3 quarts. the filter ran me the same. I just went with the filter that the dealer gave me. dealer said every 3-4 years would be fine too.

i went with regular 10w-30 mobil 1 on the engine.

Now I am trying to get the grease gun going. I use a EP moly litium grease in the gun and I think this should be fine for all the grease points including the spindles?

Also I have to take the wheels off to get to the brake actuator fitting? What a nuisance.
Sounds like you are good. On My Wildcat I can reach down and get to the brake actuator from the top but it's a pain as are a couple of deck hanger fittings on the back of the deck. If only my car and truck had that many grease fittings. It looks like those Scag's are made to last.