hydro pump pully removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fast06yfz, May 29, 2011.

1. fast06yfz

fast06yfz LawnSite Member

well im trying to replace a hydro drive pump on a ferris is3000z and having trouble getting the pully off. Is there a special way getting it off? I tried a pully puller and it broke a peice of the pully, it will not budge. help please :cry: do they have anything online showing step by step procedure on changing the pump like they do with cars like a haynes manual?

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Can you post a picture? Is it a two piece pulley?
    If it is a two piece pulley then it has a hub (sheave). You have to take the two bolts holding the pulley to the hub and put them in the opposite holes on the hub. By turning them in, you are separating the pulley from the hub. You can then use a regular puller to remove the hub. A picture would be the best bet.

Eric

Last edited: May 29, 2011
    JLSLLC likes this.
  3. ericg

found this from an older post on lawnsite: it describes what to do based on two different pulley types that you could have.

there are usually 2 set screws on the hub portion of those older pulleys, just want to make sure they are out a good ways. then we heat the center of the pulley a good bit to get some expansion. Next put a pry bar behind the pulley and put some outward pressure on it. Use a good sized punch lined up into the center dimple of pump shaft and hit it good a few times. usually the pulley will start walking off the pump shaft from the outward pressure of the pry bar and shock of the hitting.

now if its the taper-lock. remove the 2 bolts from the tapered hub. use a tap and clean out the threads of the other threaded bolts holes . those are your pushing holes that are tapped and making sure there clean will save you possibly a bunch of head aches of a broken bolt. Next reuse the 1/4" bolts or better yet get some new ones and thread them into those holes going back and forth side to side to equalize the pushing force and that's what will push off the pulley from the tapered lock hub. Then the tapered hub should just come off the pump shaft

Eric

JLSLLC likes this.
  4. fast06yfz

fast06yfz LawnSite Member

ya it looks like it has a hub in the middle of the pully, i tried switching the screws in the other holes but it did nothing, but i didnt put a puller on it when i moved the screws. Ill try it with a puller on it.

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Putting a puller on it might only make it tighter. You have to try and remove it the way it was designed to be removed. I have had to cut them off with a torch. Being a dealer, I can't seem to get them to acknowledge that they don't come apart the way a taper-loc should. I see taper-loc sheaves every day. There is definitely something going on with their set-up. They did have a problem with them not staying tight. They did fix that problem, but I think they created another.

6. ericg

As Ricky stated, placing a puller on it might make it tighter. The pulley has to be separated from the hub. The hub is tapered and when the pulley is pulled tight against the hub, it grips the shaft that much tighter. Without removing the pulley, it will be almost impossible to get the hub off without cutting it off. When you placed the two screws in the other holes they should have been threaded so that they were forcing the pulley away from the hub. The only other way, if there is room is to try and get something between the hub and the pulley a little at a time evenly on each side like a thin chisel. As it moves, you could go up in size to get the pulley to free itself from the hub.

Eric

Last edited: May 30, 2011
    JLSLLC likes this.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

8. 55WillieJo

55WillieJo LawnSite Member

Resized_20160504_143620.jpeg Having tried all of the above recommendations (and then some) this is how I FINALLY got the pulley off of the Hydro-Gear drive pump. I would have used the threaded 1/4NC holes to do the following but I had a broken 1/4" grade 8 bolt stuck in it. SO, I drilled and tapped for a 3/8NC bolt at the same distance from the center as the existing holes so that they will be pushing in the proper place. I then inserted two 3/8 bolts and walked the two-piece pulley/hub assembly apart with ease. I had to use some all thread to finish off the job. Please see the photo. The hub drilled and tapped easily and the 3/8 bolts didn't break. I hope this helps.

9. 55WillieJo

55WillieJo LawnSite Member

By the way, I assembled the pulley/hub unit using Never-Seize...I might be the next one to disassemble this thing. :)

10. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any additional suggestions for a non-destructive method of separating the tapered hub from pulley on a Turf Tiger hydraulic pump?

I have spent many hours over several days without success. Using 1/4" bolts in the alternate holes to force the hub and pulley appart only succeeded in breaking bolts. I drilled and tapped those holes for 5/16" bolts and was able to increase the force being applied without breaking the (grade 8) bolts, but the gap between the hub flange and pulley did not seem to increase, however the hub flange has bent from the force.

I have sprayed copious amounts of PB Blaster.

I have taken a hammer to a crow bar in an attempt to wedge the gap between the hub flange and pulley. I also tried an air hammer with a blunt chisel to pound on the pulley and try to wedge between and perhaps vibrate enough to encourage the PB Blaster to work its way in.

I have tried heating the pulley to get it to expand.

I have used a sturdy punch and hammer on the pump shaft as suggested in this thread.

If necessary I will cut these off, but I do not like the idea of wasting the money for a new hub and pulley if I can avoid it.

Thank you.