• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Hydro seed only with sprinklers?

GWhunter

LawnSite Senior Member
I've got a 1500sqft area to seed in the spring. I wanted to do it last fall but ran out of time. So I'm getting quotes for hydro seeding a several of the contractors won't guarantee results without installing sprinklers. I know that hydro need to be watered alot especially in the begining. But I'm not 100% sold on the sprinklers. I feel I can offer the water requirements without the sprinklers and really don't want the added maintenance. But again I'm not expert so I figured I'd come here for some opinions.

Matt:dizzy:

OP
G

GWhunter

LawnSite Senior Member
I live in eastern Ct so the weather in spring is quite vairiable. I don't know anyone locally who straw seeds. I think that hydro is much more common in this area. Are you guys saying I can get results as good as hydro seeding with a standard dry sowing? My property has a slight pitch to it so the mulch will help with keeping the seeds in place with spring rains.

Matt

Always better to hydro mulch. Skip the guarantee and just follow a good watering program. Maybe you'll get lucky and get some help from the weather. It only takes about 6 days of consistent watering to get it going and then you can gradually cut back. The only headache is to water it in may require walking on the wet mulch and that could pack it in and cause some foot printing. If it is something like a 30 by 50 foot square you could set up some hoses and rotors similar to a designed system and then roll them up and put them in a garage sale.

OP
G

GWhunter

LawnSite Senior Member
I was going to setup about 4-5 tower sprinklers and put a timer on them so the run three times a day. So then I wouldn't need to walk on anything. I do have one other prep question. I've had my soil tested and need to add lime. But I'm going to be bringing in about 70 yds of as real good compose/topsoil mix that's dark and rich and grow awesome lawns. It'll be about 4" deep and when my grades are all set. I also know that fall lawns are better but need to get this done in the spring so the wife stops crying. I'm looking for a super thick health lawn and have a good mix and will add tupersan to help with the c grass. In the fall should overseed or what?

Matt