1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hydro WB vs. Stand on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by BLC1, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

What are the biggest differences between the standers and the hydro walk behinds?

2. BLC1

from Ohio

Anybody have an opinion here?

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Seems its pretty clear to see the differences. Do you want to stand right over your unit, or use a sulky behind a WB? Are you mowing where there are a lot of trees? If so, stand on may not be your machine. I have also heard that stand ons burn some good holes in lawns when they turn, whereas you can control that more with a WB.

4. BLC1

from Ohio

Yeah, I can see the biggest difference of standing on it or riding behind. I was just looking for more details to see if it's worth the extra money to go to a stand on.

5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

productivity. as far as burning holes, as long as your smooth on the controls i don't have any problems. learning curve to it just like anything else. give me a walk behind with a sulky and i'll probably tear a few things up at first

6. BLC1

from Ohio

I was just looking back and I could have worded the question a little differently too. What would make you buy a stander vs. just buying a hydro walk behind with sulky.

7. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Well for one the standers have a higher ground speed compared to a walk behind. They give you a very good view of the surrounding areas. They are shorter(dimensionally) than most walk behind in most cases. They dont hold hills aswell. They are also heavier, which can be a factor if you mow in the rain or shortly afterwards. Both are very good and I honestly cant toally see the benfits compared to the higher cost. I think the stander is a better overall alternative than spending 12k on a sit down, but you cant replace a walkbehind. Im looking to buy a stander this year to take the place of my ZTR and just keep that for cleanups.

8. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Spring of last year I slid down a hill where I should have been using a walk behind but was instead on an Exmark ZTR. I came to a stop when I slid into a body of water. I decided I would be adding a walk behind to my trailer. I found myself asking the same question you are. I demoed a Toro Grandstand and never bought a walk behind. I have thought about selling my Exmark ZTR and adding another Toro Grandstand. I love it, I safely climb inclines I would never have thought about on my sit down ZTR. It is easier on my back standing as my knees and legs absorb a lot of the shock.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got two standers and the workers prefer the WB and without sulkies. So we are selling ours after 5 years. The standers track easily due to weight and no dampers on the Wrights so a little jerkey. And the repair is difficuelt to everythign being cramped ujp.