• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

hydronic air curtain (MITCH)

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
about 7 or 8 years ago i got a call to repair a mainline break with wire damage, 2" main and 12 valve wire run. sign company auger's through main for new sign placement.

i see a crew moving in on the same site today, i ask the forman about some locating work. seems that they use 2 different locating companies for each job and ground penetrating radar to varify any questionible utilities.

j.r. the forman tells me that their installing an underground hydronic air curtain to prevent contaminated ground water from moving laterally from one area to another.

this is the first i'd heard of this technology, i'm interested in the locating possabilities. j.r.'s talking $5-10,000 per job for location services.

Hear That Mitch? it's another avenue to travel with the knowledge you're gaining with your new equipment.

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
I am somewhat confused on what that unit actually does.
I found online that air curtains help keep bugs out of buildings, but not really anything on hydronic .

What does it do and how would locating be involved?

I just spent all day taking a cpr/ first aid class

OP
1idejim

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
I am somewhat confused on what that unit actually does.
I found online that air curtains help keep bugs out of buildings, but not really anything on hydronic .

What does it do and how would locating be involved?

I just spent all day taking a cpr/ first aid class
took the cpr/first aid online www.cpronline.com a month ago

the curtain is underground, it's somehow a forced or injected shield that prevents contaminated water from drifting to other areas.

the construction company spends $5 -10,000 per job in onsite locating, usa/one call doesn't mark on private property and they subcontract the locating out.

in one year you should have enough experience to locate all utilities and irrigation in a professional manor and with a high degree of acuracy. you live in a large area that should enable you to gain both the experience and confidence to do jobs that make your company a good return on it's investment.

how are you doing with the locating?

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
Interesting unit. I wonder how it works. I'll try to look more into that.

I haven't had too much time with it truthfully. I told my boss that too.
My girlfriend seems to need a lot of attention from me (man I hope that goes away) It was raining almost everyday.. and now it's been sunny and nearly 60 everyday. With work and also just out and about enjoying the great weather I haven't had to much time with it..

I'm hiking all day tomorrow so I'm hoping sunday I can get several hours in.

I had my boss order a manual for it.

OP
1idejim

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
Interesting unit. I wonder how it works. I'll try to look more into that.

I haven't had too much time with it truthfully. I told my boss that too.
My girlfriend seems to need a lot of attention from me (man I hope that goes away) It was raining almost everyday.. and now it's been sunny and nearly 60 everyday. With work and also just out and about enjoying the great weather I haven't had to much time with it..

I'm hiking all day tomorrow so I'm hoping sunday I can get several hours in.

I had my boss order a manual for it.
try the suggestions i gave you, if you have a problem call me when your practicing on sunday, you have my number, i'll talk you through the first step and then you'll be ok. running the machine is actually very easy once you get started off right.

once you get the manual, don't lose it cause i refer to mine often

ARGOS

LawnSite Silver Member
i see a crew moving in on the same site today, i ask the forman about some locating work. seems that they use 2 different locating companies for each job and ground penetrating radar to varify any questionible utilities.

j.r. the forman tells me that their installing an underground hydronic air curtain to prevent contaminated ground water from moving laterally from one area to another.
Did j.r. tell you how the water was contaminated? Or is it naturally contaminated? Or is it a preemptive strike? Do you know more details?

OP
1idejim

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
Did j.r. tell you how the water was contaminated? Or is it naturally contaminated? Or is it a preemptive strike? Do you know more details?
when i was a kid here there were mills and livestock yards, logging and oil companies in these locations, and it was in the county.

we didn't have building inspectors till the mid 60's

i'll learn more, stop by with doughnuts or something. seems you you catch more flies with honey, but construction workers like doughnuts or beer.

AI Inc

LawnSite Fanatic
when i was a kid here there were mills and livestock yards, logging and oil companies in these locations, and it was in the county.

we didn't have building inspectors till the mid 60's

i'll learn more, stop by with doughnuts or something. seems you you catch more flies with honey, but construction workers like doughnuts or beer.
When I need something from a site , I bring beer.