• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

hydrostatic(automatic) or stick tranny. for a tractor?

we currently own a tractor with a hydrostatic tranny.... love not having to shift.... were looking at getting a 45 HP tractor.... new holland... now this isnt a fight about brand.... i use the frountloader ALOT, but I've hierd that a stick tractor gets more torque makes since.....but i dont know if it would be good for frountloader work.... ive herd once you get used to it its better..... i know you can get more torque, and its good for going down hills in such since you can slow down the tractor with out relying on slowing down the tractor rpms.... WHATS YALL THOUGHTS?

First of all a hydrostatic transmission isn't an automatic - it is a constant speed transmission.
Secondly, especially for front end loader work and possible soil shaping - hydro is the only way to go.

OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
i went to the tractor dealership today im gonna go with stick..... theve been doin farm work/ landscaping for about 30 years.... they said with a stick its not as bad as what everyone thinks.... i drove a stick and it wasnt bad at all.... i could get used to it.... they got more tourque for land work/ farmin... so i like the stick..... and yes hydro static has gears...

DiyDave

LawnSite Bronze Member
A loader tractor is a loader tractor, a field tractor is a field tractor. I have been driving both for 30 years, my opinion is go with hydro for a loader tractor, and a straight gear, or powershift for a field tractor. Reason is that in plowing, discing, mowing with a bushhog, you set it and forget it, shift, if conditions change. With a loader, you are back and forth all the time, so the instant reverse is nice. Back in the old days, we had a gear tractor, with a shuttle shift lever, that accomplished the same convenience of today's hydro.:waving:

ttferrell

LawnSite Member
A lot of this is preference.

I have 2 tractors, a small 20hp kubota w/ belly mower, and a 48hp Agco w/ loader. The Kubota has a hydro trans, and the Agco has a Hydraulic shuttle shift.

For the bigger tractor, I love the hydro shuttle, it gives the best of both worlds, ease of forward to reverse with no clutch for loader work, yet with some benefits of gear drive for discing, large area bush-hogging and grader work.

The biggest benefit to me of the shuttle vs. hydro is that you do control the engine rpms (and therefore speed with-in a gear) with a foot pedal, so you can power up to hit a pile of mulch, gravel dirt etc., and then lower rpms, pull lever for reverse, and transport. I am at low rpm's more often, only raise rpm when needed. You can do this with a hydro, of course, but it takes more action on your part.

For mowing with the kubota, you can't beat the hydro.

Try them all out, see what you like best. I have had a few, but I will never again own a gear without some sort of shuttle shift.

Whatever you get, a new tractor is always good!

SMB

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't know about other brands, but I know some of the newer Kubota hydros have an auto throttle that you can tie to the hydro pedal, gives you that extra power when you hit the pedal vs. setting the RPMs and going. From my little bit of experience, there is no way I'd have a stick on a tractor used for much loader work.

Troyer

LawnSite Member
I have a 4710 JD with E hydro. Its great for brush hogging and loader work. Its the best for all around work for me.

OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
ya well the tractor we got now is hydro and its fine dont get me wrong.... we used it for mowing before we got the ferris.. i have drivin , kubota, MF,JD....still waiting to drive a new holland with the shuttleshift.... the JD is the best so far it was the 4005 compact utility tractor it was a awsome tractor..... ya with frountloader work ya i do alot of it , but i also till, bush hog, plow, post hole dig(that doesnt matter), airate wich would be fine, bradcast seed..... i really like manual over hydro now...... i dont know why i wouldnt want a stick now.... its not hard to drive at all...

OP
I

I mow in est

LawnSite Member
yeah the JD has 9f/2 reverse.... it doesnt have a shutle shift, but the reverse is in the gear ration..... like it goes 1,2,3 R.... wich is fine its still now quite shuttle shift but it was easy to go back and fourth.....