hydrostatic axle leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mopar4u, Jul 9, 2018.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

There is an inner seal too, 53.

I would order a seal kit and replace them all at the same time.

Walker56 likes this.
  2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, as long as part #90 is not worn and seal #53 is not worn. I would check for movement of the axle shaft, both up and down as well as side to side.

3. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Im gonna replace 90, 91 and 53. Will cost me about $40 including 20w-50 and rtv. Dont want to dump a ton of money into this old timer but it still functions so i think this should be a low risk repair.

4. Walker56

Good call. You will be fine. Post back if you have any issues.

5. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

manual says
    Fill the axle pockets of the upper housing with Exxon Polyrex EP2 grease (inside of bearing location). NOTE: This grease is not compatible with all grease types.

what is compatible with this grease? i was gonna use a jt-6 grease with moly.

6. Walker56

From the Mobil website for Exxon Polyrex EP2.
    “Mobil Polyrex EP 2 is an excellent multi-purpose grease for a wide array of industrial and construction applications.”
    https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Grease/pds/GLXXMobil-Polyrex-EP-2

It is a general multi purpose, extreme pressure grease. I would think that any other multi purpose, extreme pressure grease would be compatible.
    The only problem with compatibility with grease is if one is soap based and the other lithium based. In that case, the greases would separate.
    You can always call Mobil customer service and ask them if it makes you feel more comfortable, 1-800-ASK MOBIL

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Lithium grease is soap based grease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_soap

A quick search indicates that Polyrex grease is oil mixed with a thickener (polyurea) and is not mix compatible with a soap based grease. I'd try to find a polyurea grease to use but if you want other options I'd call hydro gear and ask them about the product you are interested in using.

8. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

while taking the 20 bolts out to split the cases, 2 snapped:angry:. i got the cases split, how important is it i get the broken portion out and replaced?

getting the old rtv off the half with all the “guts” still in the case is going to be a challenge :dizzy:

That Guy Gary likes this.
  9. Walker56

I always try and extract broken bolts. RTV seals great but if there is any flex in the unit, you could create a leak where there is no bolt.
    Are the broken bolts near each other? How far is the spacing between bolts?
    You should be able to extract the broken bolts utilizing left handed drill bits. If there is any part of the bolt that is exposed where you can grab it with a vice grip? As for the RTV removal, stuff some rags in the trans so as to catch anything that would drop in. You can always use a vacuum as you are removing the RTV to suck it up as it is removed. Take it slow and you will get the RTV removed without cursing too much.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  10. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

ugh
    i can get good grip with vice grips, but no luck. tried throwing some heat at them as well. its the two outer ones behind the diff. tried drilling from the outside but made very little progress.

0AE76C02-B19B-429B-BA2E-9B622595C90B.jpeg