1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

hypodermic needle in black kow

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GrassMasterNC, Oct 3, 2005.

1. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

just finished a 40 pallet sod and 30 cu yd mulch install this weekend with plants, shrubs, trees installed as well. As I was scooping the black kow with my hands from the wheelbarrow to pack around the azaleas, I decided it would be faster to just use a shovel....2 scoops with my hands, then got up to get the shovel and returned to see something shiny in the pile....picked it up and I'll be damned if it wasn't a hypodermic needle....anybody ever find anything like this in packaged and sealed bags of soil amendments, etc? Just curious....sure, I had gloves on, but a needle would have pierced right through...that would have made for a bad day...

Matt

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If it went completely through the manufacturing process it was most likely sterilized in the process. Freaky thing though. Once found a couple of hypos in a backflow enclosure. Since I'm in the irigation field and work for a government agency I had to call a manager who had to put on latex gloves, pick them up with special tongs and place them in a biohazard bag for disposal. A little overkill but that's the procedure.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

school kids shooting up and dropping them in valve boxes? and I thought spiders were bad.

:laugh:

I used to work in retail, I've found a few needles in the bathroom trash cans when emptying them.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You WOULD have to mention spiders. Friday I was in a valve box that I knew had a black widow (eggs and web) but the actuator was up high where I could get to it. About the time I started to actuate the valve my partner yells, "Widow!" and I jump my hand back as he's laughing his ass off.

Today I had to check the program on a controller that's located inside a security box. Open the outer door and there's a big BW just sitting on its web. I calmly go back to the truck, get the insect spray and bomb it enough to kill it and six future generations. :p

Not that I'm overly afraid of them but when I was in HS my buddy got bit by one and his arm painfully swelled up for a week. Thatimage has never left me. What I hate worse are damn piss ants; those black/red small ants that bite/sting and leave welts on my arms. I bomb them with primer! :cool2: