Hypothetical question about EOW mowing

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
Could an EOW mowing business work if you had a mower that could actually cut well in one pass regardless of 2 weeks growth? I live out in the boonies and the average lawn is 1 acre plus and I am thinking about offering an EOW service. The lawns are grass but some weeds and it does grow fast in the spring and fall. I realize that a mower that can cut in one pass might be a unicorn but I am only asking a "what if" question. What do you guys that mow all the time think if such a unicorn did exist?

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Could an EOW mowing business work if you had a mower that could actually cut well in one pass regardless of 2 weeks growth? I live out in the boonies and the average lawn is 1 acre plus and I am thinking about offering an EOW service. The lawns are grass but some weeds and it does grow fast in the spring and fall. I realize that a mower that can cut in one pass might be a unicorn but I am only asking a "what if" question. What do you guys that mow all the time think if such a unicorn did exist?

Biweeklies are 2/3 of my weekly routes. I think the only way to do a biweekly is a one pass job. 3 out of my 4 mowers will mow very cleanly with one pass, Deere 36” stander, snapper 32” walk behind and the Honda hrx217. The only mower that leaves stragglers is my Turfmaster but I think high lift blades would fix that.

It’s been stated over and over here that biweekly accounts are not allowed to complain about clippings left after a mowing. If they want it pristine after the service they can subscribe to a weekly service.

One pass mowers aren’t unicorns, they’re just properly set up quality equipment. Why are you seeking biweeklies??

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
Biweeklies are 2/3 of my weekly routes. I think the only way to do a biweekly is a one pass job. 3 out of my 4 mowers will mow very cleanly with one pass, Deere 36” stander, snapper 32” walk behind and the Honda hrx217. The only mower that leaves stragglers is my Turfmaster but I think high lift blades would fix that.

It’s been stated over and over here that biweekly accounts are not allowed to complain about clippings left after a mowing. If they want it pristine after the service they can subscribe to a weekly service.

One pass mowers aren’t unicorns, they’re just properly set up quality equipment. Why are you seeking biweeklies??
In the spring grass can grow over a foot a week here. Even mowing my own yard requires 2 passes doing it weekly. One pass mowers don't exist for EOW here. I have a Grasshopper 937 and it won't do a EOW one pass cut and Grasshoppers are considered some of the best quality of cut in the industry. My plan is to set my wife up with about 10 lawns and put a flail on the grasshopper. I am really just looking for a good excuse to buy one lol. They cut tall grass very well and stripe beautifully. Folks here usually cut there lawns with farm tractors and they do try and make them look nice but they are farmers mostly and they don't have time to mow their grass and almost no one out here wants to cut those lawns.

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member

What I am really want to do is tell the wife that the guys on lawnsite said it was a good idea and I am going to go buy a flail. That should work right????

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
What I am really want to do is tell the wife that the guys on lawnsite said it was a good idea and I am going to go buy a flail. That should work right????
Step one Think about what you want next year or two years from now.
Step 2 go tell the wife you want that stuff now.
Step 3 ask for these things every so often repeatedly.
Step 4 when the time comes when you actually want it she will be so worn down you'll get it.

Note the bigger the item the more lead time required. I broached the idea of a compact tractor in 2018 :D

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
Step one Think about what you want next year or two years from now.
Step 2 go tell the wife you want that stuff now.
Step 3 ask for these things every so often repeatedly.
Step 4 when the time comes when you actually want it she will be so worn down you'll get it.

Note the bigger the item the more lead time required. I broached the idea of a compact tractor in 2018 :D
Hmmmm, she is doing that to me about a motorhome. I guess that means I am gonna go camping soon and cutting with a flail lol

Did you get the tractor yet?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
If she could have a penny for every time I said well the guys on lawnsite site think we should do fill in the blank....lol

Which well pump to buy.... which sprinkler heads to use ...which mower to get.. which string trimmer to get...etc etc

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
If she could have a penny for every time I said well the guys on lawnsite site think we should do fill in the blank....lol

Which well pump to buy.... which sprinkler heads to use ...which mower to get.. which string trimmer to get...etc etc
My wife really doesn't have a problem with me buying equipment that will make us money. The flail is really just something I want and I can't prove that it will increase the bottom line. It is an expensive tool to cut grass with. She didn;t flinch when I bought the 937 and the aeravator or the Zspray or the new stinger but I can show how those items make us money. The flail not so much. Mowing here is EOW for just about everyone around. Problem is it's a farming area and most folks are land rich and money poor. My aeration service area is an hour away. Too far to travel for low profit mowing.

Top Forums