Hypothetical question about EOW mowing

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds like you are just creating your own headaches to me if you already know how high the grass gets in 2 weeks.

Bi weeklies are at least a 50% upcharge in cases like that.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Ask your self this. Does grass grow at the same rate the whole year?
Answer: No
At times it may need to be cut weekly, every 2 weeks or once a month or none at all.

So why do people (both HO's and LCO's) seem to think it needs to be cut on the same schedule the whole year. Go figure.
I think the OP wants to buy a specialized piece of equipment to solve a problem that doesn't exist or at least it shouldn't exist. So the grass is too high to cut after 2 weeks. Soooo cut it more often vs. buying a special piece of equipment to deal with it.

It seems to OP wants this "farm" business for whatever reasons. I think he'd be better off business wise giving them a discount for weekly mowing vs. buying and dealing with a special piece of equipment

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Biweeklies are 2/3 of my weekly routes. I think the only way to do a biweekly is a one pass job. 3 out of my 4 mowers will mow very cleanly with one pass, Deere 36” stander, snapper 32” walk behind and the Honda hrx217. The only mower that leaves stragglers is my Turfmaster but I think high lift blades would fix that.

It’s been stated over and over here that biweekly accounts are not allowed to complain about clippings left after a mowing. If they want it pristine after the service they can subscribe to a weekly service.

One pass mowers aren’t unicorns, they’re just properly set up quality equipment. Why are you seeking biweeklies??
I think the lawns you're mowing are very different than the farm yards the OP is speaking of. Both in the grass types and the maintenance as a whole

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I think the lawns you're mowing are very different than the farm yards the OP is speaking of. Both in the grass types and the maintenance as a whole
Yeah, I realized that after the fact. I’m thinking that land rich money poor customers are about last on my list of clients to target lol.

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
The only problem I see is....
Are you a business?
If you are a business then figure out if a flail mower is a NEED or a WANT.
If it can't be justified then don't buy it.
Throwing in my wife says. "Ok" Doesn't matter.
I am a business and the flail is not a need but I sure do want it. If I can find a way to make money with it then it makes it easier to swallow the cost. Because this is a want and not a need the wife's opinion does come into play. I am sure everyone here who is married understands this. Without her support the business would not work. It is nice to have a good woman especially after having an ex who did everything she could to tank anything I did.

OP
F

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like you are just creating your own headaches to me if you already know how high the grass gets in 2 weeks.

Bi weeklies are at least a 50% upcharge in cases like that.
The flail will mow it like it isn't even there. Just a lot of money for the flail deck. My business does not mow anymore so this would be a new service line.

Top Forums