• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Hypothetical?

badbartlby

LawnSite Member
So say you are starting out and you have all the equipment you need. Good trimmer, blower, 48" wb, 60" ztr, truck, trailer yada yada yada. Everything you need to be a good lco and the knowledge to do the job. Spring is coming you have been laid off since September so you don't have alot of cash. Aside from door hangers what would you do? I realize there is no magic bullet just looking for some input. Think I am getting a little stir crazy waiting for spring :dizzy:

Littleriver1

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you going to be collecting those checks when you start making money? I should say, If You Start Making Money. There are 50,000,000 more of you out there just waiting for the snow to melt. Hows that hope and change workin for ya?

openbook

LawnSite Member
If I had that kind of equipment I'd try and contact some property management companies that manage properties in your area and see if they will let you put in some bids for lawn maintenance this season.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Do fliers until your feet fall off.

Figure one call per 200 for generic fliers, and figure 1 call per 100 with good fliers.

Don't forget that it takes, on average, 5 years to establish a business, and 5 years to turn a profit.

In the first 5 years, 85% of businesses will fail, from that 15% that are left, 90% of those won't make it to 9 years.

LCO work can generate money better than some other businesses out there in the first five, but you got to stick it out. You must make the all out dedication to your biz to make it work.

Get a part-time job for the first 1.5 years too. That will help big time. I was a short-order cook when I started, and who knows, maybe I'll have to do it part-time again someday.

Good Luck, this post isn't meant to be negative, just info. Thumbs Up

Acres

LawnSite Member
"In the first 5 years, 85% of businesses will fail, from that 15% that are left, 90% of those won't make it to 9 years."

That last stat is very misleading, there are a lot more factors when nearing a decade than just making not making money..

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
"In the first 5 years, 85% of businesses will fail, from that 15% that are left, 90% of those won't make it to 9 years."

That last stat is very misleading, there are a lot more factors when nearing a decade than just making not making money..
Oh ya, I agree. It's just a sobering statistic. There are many more factors to consider why businesses fail. For me that statistic is motivational. I like proving everyone wrong, and not fall prey to the statistics.

My business has hit the five year mark and is still growing. You never know, I might have some Murphy's Law come into play and could loose it all, or it becomes stagnant.

Everyone has fears and blind ambition when it comes to business. You have to because you don't know what's around the corner, you just have to stay as positive as possible that your business will succeed.

I think the biggest hindrance right now for small businesses is that the credit market is extremely tight. I'm always exploring financial avenues, and every year I look into business line of credit, or loans, and have yet to find a banker who didn't look at me like I was doomed.