1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hyro motor or wheel pump ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, May 25, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the advantage/disadvantage of a ztr with a hydro motor and one with wheel pumps and motors..please enlighten me...which is better and why

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Most ZTRs have two hydraulic pumps and two hydraulic wheel motors. I don't understand your question. John Deere had only one pump and now they have went to an integrated pump/motor but they are the exception I think.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Theoretically integrated pump/motor avoids cross-contaminaton in event of a failure, and reduces leak points.

Realistically, there is no advantage. The integrated unit will cost as much as a pump and motor put together.

4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Vistied a Gravely dealer and they mention to me the seperate motor/pump verses the hydro design assembly in the 2 models of 48 inch commercial ztr's (the ztr's with the seperate pumps and motors were on avg. $1000 more in price.)

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the companies are integrating the pump and wheel motor together sorta like the Walker and the Eaton. I think in general that helps them lower the manuf cost and the retail price like you have found. The down side from my viewpint is that when you have a problem that assembly will cost more than a hydro pump or a wheel motor. Normally both don't go. I don't think there are shops to repair those integrated units yet....certainly not in case of the walker. And since this is new into mowing industry how reliable are these new units:confused: Maybe you are talking about something else?

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Two separate pumps and two wheel motors are the industry standard at this time so I would go that route. It's a proven system.