1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

I’m thinking of making a leaf collection trailer out of a double axle boat trailer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JaekayDesign, Dec 5, 2017.

1. JaekayDesign

JaekayDesign LawnSite Member

gonna get a cheap boat trailer and weld up and metal cage, 5x10x6 and put aluminum sheet inside and get a skid mount leaf vac and put it on the front V part of the trailer. Perfect demensions, great placement for a hydraulic lift, great space for a blower and blower racks, and cheap. Good thing I have a welder and I can fab up just about anything. Should be sweet

hort101 likes this.
  2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Pictures !

GrassManKzoo and hort101 like this.
  3. JaekayDesign

I will def post pictures. Gonna save thousands

4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure where your aluminum sheet is going but I can tell you that every leaf box I ever built needed a reinforced wall where the discharge blew against it. A piece of plywood or a hanging piece of rubber belting could work. Plan for that in your design.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

By the time yo buy the materials , hydraulics , new tires , time to build and engineering you would be better off to buy a new dump trailer .

6. JaekayDesign

Ahhhh.. not reallly. A new dump trailer is about 5-6k.... weighs a few tons.. and has no bkower. I can get a boat trailer for 4-600 down here, hydro lift kit is $800, blower is about 3k, and steel and aluminum sheet won’t be that much for the box and I can do all the work myself.. which comes out to about 4-5k, but those vac trailers are like 25k. AND it would still be lighter than a full on dump trailer, which I don’t need to haul dirt and all that.. just using it as a leaf and lawn clippings vac trailer.
    You will see. And this way will save a lot of money and weight.

7. JaekayDesign

Let me guess... you are from “New England” (a 5-6 state area).... where they know everything, and southernerns are stupid..

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

That's a strange comment.^^^^^^^

9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Yep now Maryland is part of New England:cool2:

oqueoque likes this.
  10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Let's see here tie up several weeks of time building a light weight trailer that's only good for hauling leaves and spend $5k on it. Option #2 buy a ready to go heavy duty dump trailer with multiple uses for $6k. I'll just sit back and see how this goes.

GrassManKzoo and Mow-Daddy.com like this.