I’ve searched and read please help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MYLES T, Dec 16, 2017.

1. MYLES T

MYLES T LawnSite Member

FFF564D4-9B3C-437B-9C37-0F1BB4AE8276.jpeg FFF564D4-9B3C-437B-9C37-0F1BB4AE8276.jpeg DB403C0E-2A05-4EE7-A118-A76949A51759.jpeg 060CA513-7518-4E1B-BF6D-F6F44AB6DC79.jpeg 4FE3BDFE-2A47-4CEF-A1E4-011F254A54AB.jpeg Hello all,
    Today I started to replace the above the ground index valve system. I bought 5 valves, pipes, pipe cement and connectors. My father and mother had a divorce in the beginning of the year, so mom needs help with somethings around the house. And I just recovering from my 2nd heart transplant.
    All valves are in except for 1 valve. My issue is I’m having a hard time using irrigation couplers to connect all the pipes together. I bought all of my parts from windmill sprinkler store in south florida. With all allocated elbows and couplers I cannot connect these pipes together due to the pipes coming from all different angles please help.
    Myles

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Well you've got a can of worms. First things first... put on some shoes. This will be challenging for you if you have no prior plumbing experience. You need to use double elbows to get everything lined up. Then you can use unions for your last connection or save an elbow for your last connection. Like I said this will be challenging especially to describe how to do without being able to show you.

3. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Dig a bigger hole, and like he said, a pair of 90s will square everything up where you want it.

Srlance31 likes this.
  4. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Bigger hole helps a lot. PVC can bend but don't push it. Use sch. 40 pressure rated pipe and fittings, and square the set up.

Careful not to have a heart attack either. Key to the job is surviving to the end of the job.

RDALawns likes this.
  5. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at pics closer.... do you have Primer too?

6. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My impression was that he was just doing mockups, not sure how exactly everything is being fed, but looks like one of the valves is probably backwards.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’m assuming your problem would be solve by buying one or more slip fixes.
    Although generally this is only a good idea for buried pipe.
    I’ve seen some funny thing happen when a slip fix came under pressure that wasn’t secured.
    But without more info my guess is you’re having issues making all the pipes meet at the right lengths , semi common for someone who’s new at it.

RDALawns likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That’s funny I didn’t notice he wasn’t wearing shoes
    Was distracted by the explosion of parts in the hole.

He probably hasn’t dug a big hole due to prior mentioned heart issues.

Why not just hire a pro.
    That’s only an hour or two if you know what you’re doing.

RDALawns likes this.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I hope he didn't sell his shoes to buy the valves.

MYLES T likes this.
  10. MYLES T

MYLES T LawnSite Member

Where I live all 3 quotes were from $700-$1,000. Just for what I’m doing without a timer. I think I’ve done pretty well with no experience whatsoever, and now I know what to do, because of the kind pros on this site. There’s enough ignorant and nasty people in this world. Try to be kind.
    Myles