Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Hey, good luck this season, i am 16 with the equipment and truck in my signiture....business has exploded this year, been doing nights lately where i'm not home until 9 or so at night, its tough gettin up for school the next day but the fact that it has to be done is enough drive to make me do it. Keep up the hard work and set some business goals for yourself so that you have something to motivate you.

Question: What happens when you clip an exposed fuel line and the blade hits a metal grounding spike and sparks the fuel, burning down the house? If your a minor then your parents are responsible for you so they in turn get sued and lose their house. Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened. Could a minors parents get their child insurance? I have always wondered this. Even for full blown LCO's with no insurance.
I understand the question, but really we all mowed our neighbors houses when we were young, and I know my parents didn't think about being sued. If we all get that paranoid then we might not want to leave the house.

my name is also sean. i have started a business when i was 12 and am now 15. I have had some success with about 20 yards. During my first 2 years the thing that worked most for me was going up to peoples doors and asking. I wasnt trying to be rude or anything but it seemed to put people on the spot and made them more likely to hire me. Right now i use an 06 lazer z hp, echo blower, john deere weed waker, and a husquaverna edger. How many lawns are you up to???

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I am mowing 4 lawn weekly and few more who call when they need it. I am also doing alot of property maintainence ( cleanups, hedge triiming, flower bed edging, ect).

I understand the question, but really we all mowed our neighbors houses when we were young, and I know my parents didn't think about being sued. If we all get that paranoid then we might not want to leave the house.
exactly! u don't need insurance when you're just starting out. some seem to take the insurance thing to far. ;)

for more jobs post an add on craigslist it has helped me out alot i started when i was 14 and i only had 2 yards now i am 17 and i have 20 so just work hard and dont slack off on the yards make them all look like they are your own yards

Seems like a few people are really busting your balls on here. I would try any of your family near your house, friends parents, etc... Sure it may be harder to get mowing accounts at 13 but go for it and have fun. I also really dont think they would hold you liable for damages should anything serious happen, like you "burn the house down". If you smoke a window though you could lose your profits for the whole year. Can get real expensive.

Quick story: Went out to do an estimate for a wealthy guy. Turns out he didnt want to spend the money for the summer even though it was a drop in the bucket for what his guy was paying out. I think I quoted like $2,900 for the season (just mowing). I moved on no big deal. About three weeks later the guys wife calls and tells me to do it for the rest of the year. Sure enough the guy hit some rocks and blasted the 20' tall windows on the back of the house:cry:. Cost him an ungodly amount of money to fix. I had to rub it in and tell him "my insurance would have paid for that" :laugh:

People on here are stupid, I was 14, and my dad allowed me to use his 21" push mower and get some lawns to cut in the sub. I got 6 people that had me cut there lawn, nothing bad ever happended, they were good people, and always paid. End of story. They are mad cause your taking potential clients from them. Your 13, give me a break.

I just want to wish you the best of luck in your business. I to like to see someone of your age wanting to work and learn, instead of setting in the house numbing your mind with TV and Videogame nonsense. As some one said earlier dont let people on here get you down. Alot of the ones putting you down and putting other people down probably arent much older than you,(and dont act like it either) and dont know near as much as they would like for you to think they do.
You can tell who the veteran business men are, most of them dont bragg about what they have or how much money there making. Im 26 years old, dont know much at all, and learning every day. This is what I have learned about the business in general. Do quality work, have a clean image and equipment, Tucked in shirt (dont have to have a logo), blue jeans or work pants, proper saftey glasses, and treat your customers with the upmost respect. YES MAM, NO SIR, MR. MRS. DR. No matter how old you are that can get you along way with people. Word of mouth is probably the best advertisement. Again Good Luck

Its not a business at 13 its a chore...
leave the kid alone. your junk dude. at least he isnt home playing video games.

i started when i was 10.

your rude.

Question: What happens when you clip an exposed fuel line and the blade hits a metal grounding spike and sparks the fuel, burning down the house? If your a minor then your parents are responsible for you so they in turn get sued and lose their house. Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened. Could a minors parents get their child insurance? I have always wondered this. Even for full blown LCO's with no insurance.
yea and every lco started his first day witha tax number, million dollar liability insurance, get going your bunk dude.

And I started at 12. I was legal at 16.
I'm glad to hear kids are still doing this!
Keep it up, don't listen to the jerks they are just upset because they didn't start so young.
But I will say one thing enjoy your childhood don't grow up too quick!

cool man keep doin what your doin, dont get discouraged either, good luck! oh and to whoever started talking about insurance and stuff, im 17 years old and my company has 1 million dollar liability insurance and i am on my OWN policy my parents have nothing to do with it, and i have my own business lisence with a DBA on the way.

If I were you I would stay in school me to started at your age if I could go back in time
I sure would go to school
Try to do both itÂ’s your mind itÂ’s yours decision good luck wish you the best kid where from long island are you :weightlifter:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.