I am being subcontracted from my old boss, and he is refusing to pay me until his customers pay him. (Please read I need advice)

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Can’t contact them directly right now without tripping over unfair trade practices act
But if you weren’t doing them any more for a while
Then it’s fair game
For awhile?
This is why non compete agreements fail, you need a set amount of time.
For awhile isn’t a set time.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
What are you talking about ?
"But if you weren’t doing them any more for a while
Then it’s fair game" ??? lol What is a while ? Never mind answering that .
Unless he sign a " noncompete clause " he can go after any customer he wants regardless if this guy sent him to do the job first or not . He can go do the job and when done solicit the customer right then and there if no noncompete clause is in effect
That’s not true….
if you’re currently subcontracted and/or employed by someone to service that persons customers
And you go about stealing his customers you can be sued and you will lose.

it falls under deceptive or fraudulent behavior as the complaint will be you used the sub relationship to garner information on customers you wouldn’t otherwise have and then take his customers.
Given the fact he can prove you were a sub or employee it’s very difficult for you to prove you didn’t do that.
Especially when we are talking about intentionally and willfully doing it.
And NO you don’t need a non compete, this is a law protecting businesses and their clients

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
He is not even talking about a noncompete contract . He is quoting some "fair trade nonsense
Yes of course it must be nonsense because you’ve never heard of it
You’re going on over youre opinions and feelings I’m talking about experience and reality. Things that have happened in real life, not your world where you can do whatever you want and your brand of justice is true.

Mello Living

LawnSite Member
What chapter law are you getting this from ? Are you a lawyer ? Site me a precedent for this . Yes you do need a noncompete contract or any customer at any time is is fair game .
So you are saying you can't quit a job and go after his customers ? It happens all the time . Without noncompete ? Nothing can be done . Salesmen do it all the time .leave one place and take the
Yes of course it must be nonsense because you’ve never heard of it
You’re going on over youre opinions and feelings I’m talking about experience and reality. Things that have happened in real life, not your world where you can do whatever you want and your brand of justice is true.
If it happened in real life ? Give us a example of it . Show us a court case of someone winning it . It is public records of all court cases

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Ya fair trade is to protect the consumer, not two lawn business.
And a non compete is just a piece of paper.
Omg you need to read the law guy
The alleged basis is that you entered the relationship under cause pretenses to steal the customer away from a relationship they had and were happy with.
IF you contact them directly during the relationship it’s considered fraudulent and deceptive practice

if you contact after that relationship had been severed , then it’s not

I sat in court rooms and listened to lawyers and judges all about this
Read the court documents and complaints
It’s not imaginary
I was there

Mello Living

LawnSite Member
Ya fair trade is to protect the consumer, not two lawn business.
And a non compete is just a piece of paper.
Of course . If the courts got involved every time someone left a company ,any company and went after the former employers customers ? It would grind to a halt. It happens everyday

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Of course . If the courts got involved every time someone left a company ,any company and went after the former employers customers ? It would grind to a halt. It happens everyday
The courts don’t get involved

someone with way more money that you have decides to sue you.
that’s how lawsuits work.

Top Forums