I believe the Turf Tracer still is Ultimate residential mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by grass disaster, Jan 12, 2018.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

I have a older 04 TTHP 48" with velke and the metal chute. I leave chute up unless by landscape, then i toe flip it down. Its my go to mower for residential properties.

I purchased a ferris fw25(36") and a ferris 52" SRSz2 this year.
    The fw25 is heavy in front, I cant pop the front up. And the foot stop, when compared to the thumb holds is kind of a joke.

the srsz2 is a sweet engineered machine, don't get me wrong. But it simply cant do everything. Residential speaking.

I think the Turf Trace still wins. Based off the KISS principle possibly.

Agree? Disagree?

Church2224 and xxl like this.
  2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

FW25 36 much better mower than the 36" Tracers

19hp avail
    Better controls__ total ecs rip off but Much smoother
    Fatter drive tires

And front end pops easy almost need added weight when going up inclines to keep it on ground

Also cheaper

FW wins

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, simple well built machines.

4. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Fw is cheaper considerably (here) and I find them much better for operators comfort fw35 is even more improved with deck height adjustment I compare the 35s to the xseries.
    I don't dislike tracers just feel they are long overdue for upgrade. Leave pumps for trans and the comort would be all that is need.

5. xxl

xxl LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I like turf tracers easier stop work on why put pumps under the deck

6. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

I love our little TT 36"..... We put a FX 600 and mulch kit on it. The extra weight keeps it from popping a wheelie and it never seems to run out of power. We bought it in VVGC and have about 3.1k invested total (we still haven't sold off the the old engine and the extra parts from the FX conversion).... Heck, we worked that much out of it last year.

I would not buy one new, they're way too expensive- But the market is flooded with used units and we've got good dealer support. I'm also sure there are better mowers out there but I'm quite happy with it. I'll call it a win.

BR,

~TW

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  7. Turf Tracer

This pic shows one reason 36” FW is better. Couple that w/the CC controls and the 19hp which you can’t get on 36 Tracers and a Cheaper price.

Will not be buying another Tracer until they update their ancient design

Tracer I bought 20 plus years ago almost identical to units purchased 2 years ago

FW 36 on left

50405A68-0AD9-4D83-BF56-100A93EEC553.jpeg

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see any real advantage of the big tires, actually on the 36" i find them a bit annoying.

the tires on the TT get up curbs just as good as the fw's. drive and traction are just fine on the tt also.

9. Turf Tracer

Much smoother drive, better hill stability, slight less rutting and divots on z turns.

Can control FW’s w/fingertips. The consensus here is unanimous.FW’s win Big Time

Basically they took a Tracer and Upgraded and improved it

Tracers last. Will give them that. FW verdict on longevity still out.
    My oldest FW at 1500hrs so far so good.

10. xxl

xxl LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I wish i could find one at a good price that id could pull the engine off of and put a fx 600 on it. i hate shelling out 5600 on a new one knowing i am getting less for my money than ferris. Wake up exmark you have competion

hort101 likes this.