1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

I can not believe some people's thought process

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 9, 2011.

1. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

There is more to this story....Sorry guy...callin BS on this one.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

No BS here at all! That's all right though, picked up one today to replace one of the two we lost due to guys cut it last week and made a mess out of everything, you should see this place. In fact I'll snap some pics this week when we get over there. Hopefully we can just roll it out.

3. nobagger

from Pa

Yeah should have called I guess seeings how common sense doesn't go very far.

4. nobagger

from Pa

Are you serious? Usually by the time you actually feel it start to sink its too late. I've had my mower stuck once and thats all the experience I need in that lesson. And yes here in NWPA there is a lot of clay and when soaked with several inches of rain tends to hold moister as well. I'd like to see some of your properties after mowing with all this rain.

5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

It is wise to invest in at least 2 push mowers in case the ground is not capable of holding up a heavy mower due to rain. That way you can still get some work done until conditions improve.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Maybe a 21 inch mower works for some of you guys but what if you have large lawns? Are you really going to cut an acre lawn with a 21 inch mower? I'm not! I have no problem using my 48 inch walk behind if things are wet and/or soft but I'm in my 10th season and have never resorted to using a 21 inch mower for whole lawns and don't plan on it.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

That is not realistic in everyone's situation. I know if I had to push mow most any of my lawns, it would be impossible. A lawn that takes 2 hours to mow with a 72" Z turn, would take how long with a push mower???? Just not realistic.

8. nobagger

from Pa

No doubt! We have some small lawns but still, a lawn that takes even 20 minutes with a 48 or 52 would take about 4 times long. We're not about to send 2 guys to mow swamps, have them spend 2hrs on a lawn that should take 30 minutes at best. We're not in the business of paying customer's to mow. And to the other guy....we have 2 21" on board. We switched to Honda's this year and I think they way around 100lbs each, but when you sink a 21" mower in a Chik-Fil-A island I think its just too wet to mow,lol. That was last Thursday or Friday.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Why don't you try it and check back in with us at the end of the week and let us know. :laugh:

My point exactly. For something 5 or 10k sq feet I could see it, but bigger than that it's just not realistic. Most of my lawns are on 2 acre lots. Granted they're not all turf, but still, they're too big to realistically push mow.

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If all you have is giant lawns then using a push mower does not apply....... common sense. If you have those smaller ones then its better to mow them with a push mower than loose the lawn.