1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

I can not find ANY Employees!

Discussion in 'Employment' started by outrunjason, Mar 14, 2017.

1. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

I've often wondered how ValleyCrest and Brickman were able to find and keep people in order to grow so large.

2. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Also tax breaks for hiring vets !! That's a legit angle. Yes they make $ but alot are on disability or just working part time tech jobs but still very able bodied and don't mind physical work within their limits.
    If you hire a vet that's currently unemployed it's a nice tax break (depending on their previous employment or lack of - something like the first $7500 pay is tax exempt).

JWallace115 and hort101 like this.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Nice in theory but none ever apply.

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

marcus they struggle as well, they have a larger footprint in the areas they work so they do get a lot of people stopping by looking for work and they always have head hunters out looking for workers. They have a terrible retention rate so they are always hiring. They just do their hiring in larger volumes then the average company since the door is always revolving. They keep consistent help wanted adds in every media source they can.

5. Bassyarddog

Bassyarddog LawnSite Member

We have the same problem in North Ga. It doesn't matter the amount of money these days we pay $15-$20 per hour and they still suck we're to the point of not even giving people the oppurtunity a shot anymore because it's a total waste. I'm constantly trying to figure the situation out. I pay workers more than I got paid when I worked for someone and give holiday pay, sick pay,vacations,bonuses periodically, and buy lunches here and there and it is still what can you do for me.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

They've got h2b friend

7. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I can not even tell you how much money I have lost this year with the employee situation. We are losing almost $2k a week.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is bad in austin just simply no workers to be found.

9. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I see I am not alone. I am going to do the visa program next year. I have lost so many customers. Customers complaining about the poor quality to because some of the guys just are not that good.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have been in program for several years very costly and time consuming....but those guys leave in Dec and can't be exactly sure when they will be back.