I can not find ANY Employees!

Discussion in 'Employment' started by outrunjason, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Labor cost may be going up but the number of crews with good equipment has gone through the roof in central Texas. And these guys aren't going away.

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

so, i have been reading through this thread, and there seem to be a few common denominators. experience, pay(and benefits), and billable rate.
    each market across the country is different(department of labor or NALP has this information), but one thing does remain true across the country. That is, many contractors in our industry across america over the past decade have lowered their hourly rates, just to get the job.(Top 100 companies, as well as smaller outfits)

What does that do? 1. lowers overall gross and net margins
    2. forces employers to look into areas to increase margins. lower pay rates, older equipment, no insurance, no benefits, etc.
    3. Number two above begins to create the cycle of lost retention, and lack of leadership/morale. If people are not attracted to the industry in general, there will be no experienced individuals to pave the way in the future.

All of this it seems to me is the fault of the industry as a whole, and should be seriously addressed.

the following are billable rates in my area.

Mechanic rates for a vehicle 65-95 an hour
    mechanic rates for small equipment 55-75 an hour
    carpentry billable rates 55-85 an hour.
    electrician rates 50-75 and hour
    HVAC... 99.00 to show up 65-85 an hour after that.
    welder 65-80 an hour.

Landscape industry 27.00- 50.00 an hour...
    House cleaning is similar to the landscape industry in that respect, but has much less in the way of direct costs associated.

Hmmm, see what's wrong with the above picture. these are all service industry jobs, and im not even mentioning concrete.. Why on god's green earth would someone green take an interest in the landscape industry today, if there wasn't a future payoff. Granted everyone in the above mentioned industries start out making much less than an experienced individual, but over time as they develop, there is a payoff. People don't see that in this industry anymore, unless you aspire to be a manager, or project manager, etc. It's a dead end for someone running a crew in their eyes.

Part of the talk at the NALP convention in louisville last year was how to make the landscape industry "sexy" or attractive so to speak.. figures lie, and liars figure, but it starts with the money.

I have watched this industry change over the course of the last three decades, and even at my current employer, one of our account managers, says we can't charge them that much, they won't sign. Then why go after the account at all.

It is our duty in this industry to recreate a culture where it is a viable option for an individual who is not planning to go to college, but wants a career.. this isn't everyone in the industry obviously, (some are just there for a check or because they have to have a job) but for others they are the future of the landscape industry.

kemco and stringfellohawk like this.
  3. Tyler Jenkins

Tyler Jenkins LawnSite Member

I am in Arlington, and have the same problem. I am starting up and I have had 4 people call wanting the job. Only one showed up and they didn't really want to work. Its a little surprising that it is this hard to find someone to work, and it really hurts small businesses.

4. Mike FitzPipe

Mike FitzPipe LawnSite Member

My thoughts exactly! The hidden part he left out was he's probably paying like $12-$14 an hour lol. And...... probably has a reputation of being an ******* boss. There's a reason why nobody will work there and current employees are being offered a $100 finders fee. lololol

hort101 and stringfellohawk like this.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Thing to do is probably just go back solo and cut back to the size one guy can handle. Paying a first season guy $18 an hour to cut grass is just absurd. For that rate, your gonna RUN mowing ops and be completely responsible for it.

6. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

There is also the Southwest Airlines model - employees come first. If you have happy employees, you will have happy customers...

oqueoque, hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  7. U.S Lawn Enforcement

U.S Lawn Enforcement LawnSite Member
    Male, from Kyle

My posted pay rate, as states in the posting/ads, depends on experience and equipment competency. $8.50-$22.50. The $8.50 has a hard time picking up limbs/leaves, the $22.50/hr guy can run the crew and pick up any slack. I also offer profit sharing and health insurance and day care reimbursement. I also only hire after a working interview. $8.50 - $10.00/hr. Usually only one or two hours. I'm also looking into hiring disabled veterans. I'm thinking that my problem may be that the area I'm marketing the job to might be off or too limited. Right now I'm only using craigslist and local fb groups. Do any if you use temp-to-hire or indeed/monster/etc.?

stringfellohawk likes this.
  8. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use indeed and get tons of applicants. But they are usually ****. 1 out of 100 are decent enough for a interview.

9. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do to pre-screen?

10. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Their resumes. I dont list my number and wont return their call if they do without sending a resume through indeed. Plus I have listed questions that they have to answer to apply. Even here, people lie. Which is why I do it that way. Saves me time from having to waste a in person or on phone interview.

hort101 likes this.