Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
If it's a shielded phone wire then I typically connect the 521 to the shield.
If there are obvious wires that are not being used then you can connect to one of them.
Always make sure and pay attention to the utility locations and where they enter the house.
If in doubt use your "witching sticks" to see if anything might possibly be in the area that you are trenching/pulling/boring.

Capt don't be to hard on yourself you will be able to find and repair the wire. I have temporarily fixed them with a little wire and wire nuts. Here if it's on private property I will call the phone Co. to fix it and I have never been charged. Actually I will call if it's off property too :laugh:

As these guys said a simple wire nut and muti-strand will easily repair most older phone lines.
I never tried wiring a jack to the 521, I simply removed the wires from the interface panel on the side of the house, connected the red to an exposed lead then grounded to an electrical socket if a copper grounding rod wasn't available. Trace to the problem then splice.
How far off of the locate did you sever the lines? I ask as 3' is usually the minimum one has to stay away from the locate to avoid paying for the splice.
In my a.o I have a much greater problem with incorrectly buried propane lines by the gas companies. Those I refuse to repair, the client has to pay for the gas company to correct. What I do in these cases is trench in a line at code approved depth so the gas line may be properly installed. And I get paid for the trenching too.

When I started out, years ago, we hardly ever located anything. I remember one time we cut a gas line on private property, in the back yard. We called the gas company first. That was a big mistake. They came out and said, "Yep, you cut the gas line, call a plumber". And they yanked the meter.
It was in December and the house was heated with gas. The plumber came out, same day, and fixed it. The gas company did not come out for three days to replace the meter. My boss had to put the customer up in a hotel for three days. Plumber said to call him first next time.

It amazes me how many people are suggesting a DIY phone line fix when those very same people rag on others about doing/fixing irrigation when they are not qualified. Simply astounding. :dizzy:

Wire nut and unshielded multistrand for a buried service line? Are you f'n serious? :hammerhead: Maybe for a quick temp fix that will work but certainly not a permanent one.

Out here the phone company will repair a cut phone line free of charge if the HO calls letting them know they cut it.

@capt

My condolences on your loss.

It amazes me how many people are suggesting a DIY phone line fix when those very same people rag on others about doing/fixing irrigation when they are not qualified. Simply astounding. :dizzy:

Wire nut and unshielded multistrand for a buried service line? Are you f'n serious? :hammerhead: Maybe for a quick temp fix that will work but certainly not a permanent one.

Out here the phone company will repair a cut phone line free of charge if the HO calls letting them know they cut it.

@capt

My condolences on your loss.
I had one of the big phone comapnies try and charge me 150 bucks one time for a splice on a drop that was 1/2 inch deep laid right next to a sprinkler head. Yup you guessed it we go to change the head and cut the line.

After that, I swore off ever calling them again.

Hey, tell you what as soon as I can see they change their business practices, I will call them when I cut.

Until that time, I will fix their lines with what I have when I hit them. I see no problem with splices that are direct burial 3m style splices on a phone line.

Is the wire shielded where it splices and goes into the house? Seems to me the shielding would be broken there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

A couple of weeks ago I was installing a system on a parkway. I go to dig right next to the meter and I feel the eerie feeling of resistance with the sudden slip. Much like it feels when cutting through a thick, dry root. I Investigate and realize that I have cut through the cable line. I freaked the hell out. I investigate around the property and realized that there was no cable pulled through the conduit leading to the house. I also noticed there was a DirecTv dish on the roof. Boy was I relieved. Next time I will call 811 just so I free myself (almost) from all liability.

The line was buried with the most cheapy conduit I have ever seen. This took place in my neighborhood and when Cablevision was installing the lines in the late 70's, they used some major crap. Still do.

A couple of weeks ago I was installing a system on a parkway. I go to dig right next to the meter and I feel the eerie feeling of resistance with the sudden slip. Much like it feels when cutting through a thick, dry root. I Investigate and realize that I have cut through the cable line. I freaked the hell out. I investigate around the property and realized that there was no cable pulled through the conduit leading to the house. I also noticed there was a DirecTv dish on the roof. Boy was I relieved. Next time I will call 811 just so I free myself (almost) from all liability.

The line was buried with the most cheapy conduit I have ever seen. This took place in my neighborhood and when Cablevision was installing the lines in the late 70's, they used some major crap. Still do.
if you have any interaction with a utility you are supposed to report it.

www.usanorth.org/calaw.pdf

I don't see how they can expect us to call for locates if we are just going to be digging up a head or two. They would have to employ one more person just to take care of my stuff. I can have myself and my guys go to 20-30 homes in a day, and there is always potential to dig up a sprinkler head. So they can either hire someone at $20k-$40k just to locate MY jobs for 8 months, or they can eat a $100 repair once in a while.

I don't see how they can expect us to call for locates if we are just going to be digging up a head or two. They would have to employ one more person just to take care of my stuff. I can have myself and my guys go to 20-30 homes in a day, and there is always potential to dig up a sprinkler head. So they can either hire someone at $20k-$40k just to locate MY jobs for 8 months, or they can eat a $100 repair once in a while.
Thats my issue. I have had them tell me that I am supposed to call all repair jobs for locates before going.

That would be 12-17 Locates a day for my three crews and I am not willing to push all my jobs out 3 days all the time so that I can wait for locates. Thats not even reasonable.

So I get a call for a blown out backflow before the shut-off and I am supposed to tell them to wait three days? Yeah right.

Thats my issue. I have had them tell me that I am supposed to call all repair jobs for locates before going.

That would be 12-17 Locates a day for my three crews and I am not willing to push all my jobs out 3 days all the time so that I can wait for locates. Thats not even reasonable.

So I get a call for a blown out backflow before the shut-off and I am supposed to tell them to wait three days? Yeah right.
Not just that , but around here we have to premark are of locate. That means 2 trips to change a broken head. I dont think so.
you guys are right but it is what it is, dial before you dig was developed to prevent damage to private property (the facilities conduit, cable, equipment is considered private property) and for public safety.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/georgia-power-lineman-dies-591975.html

if you followed the letter of the law, the three of you wouldn't be doing repairs yourselves, you'd have a full time job with calls, marking addresses and doing the paperwork for your protection.

pete kills me, traveling around Europe with one of the prettier women on the rock and he still is able to check in here..............

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.