Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts
If the lines were buried deep enough TO CODE in the first place there would not be an issue.
Funny you say that. I asked one of the telco linemen out here what the code was on burial depth for phone lines, and he said there is no code. I do however agree that if a phone line is buried right next to an existing sprinkler, then the telco is responsible for repairing any breaks on their dime. It's one thing to utilize existing trenches for wire runs, but when I see wire run right next to a sprinkler (landscape lighting is the most common that I see) many very dirty words come flying out of my mouth.

I don't see how they can expect us to call for locates if we are just going to be digging up a head or two. They would have to employ one more person just to take care of my stuff. I can have myself and my guys go to 20-30 homes in a day, and there is always potential to dig up a sprinkler head. So they can either hire someone at $20k-$40k just to locate MY jobs for 8 months, or they can eat a $100 repair once in a while.
I seem to recall, last year, in CO, that they made an amendment to the "Call before you dig" law (rule?) that said routine irrigation and lawn repairs/work were no longer required to be located.

If the lines were buried deep enough TO CODE in the first place there would not be an issue.
I seem to luck out as relates to phone lines. They always seem to be deep enough to be out of easy reach. Cable TV is another matter.

Ever see the cable TV installs in neighborhoods with underground utilities, in that time period before boring missiles came into use? You'd see where they rock-sawed the street, to drop in a cable, and pave over it.

In Missouri there is NO code as to how deep phone or TV has to be burried. My area is very rocky and I have cut phone lines as shallow as 2 inches. The contractos just get it deep enogh that it cant been seen and call it good.
I've seen cable installers lay the cable on the ground after it was raked out, and just had the sod lay directly on top.

I have seen aerators puncture both phone and cable lines.

Did a lanscape renovation a few years back where phone line was laid on the ground just before they rolled the sod. Need less to say it was probably the HO or shady contractor. For new construction (in CA) no code for low voltage, however all new construction they go 18". The renovations are usually nightmares.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously, I do understand the need for calling in for locates. But realistically there is no way I am having 20-30 homes a day called in for what may or may not need digging. If I'm sitting in the office all day coordinating this crap, or hiring someone else to do it, my rates go up and I'm already on the high end for my area.

Quite often when I call for locates, only phone and cable get located. The main utilities don't bother showing up half the time.

One little story. I was working on an install many moons ago, before I was on my own. And one of the landscape guys was hammering in the 12" stake that holds the metal edging in place that is between the grass and rock. As he was hammering in the stake, he hit the electric that fed the house. Knocked the sh!t out of him, went to the hospital, and was OK. But the grade had changed over the years before they got there, and the electric was now less than 12" deep.

You've got your eye on his daughter, don'tcha? :laugh:
you subtle dog you, it's all about the eye dude :) jealous bastards all of you :laugh: i think that pretty women should be made aware that their beauty enhances the lives of others, and by golly i'm gonna tell 'em.

as far as the depth of laterals and minimum cover requirements for low voltage utilities goes, we're not going to get anything in writing to help the trade in respect to liability.

it's to your advantage to own a locator of some sort and learn to use it well, the 521/pro-700 is ok for all around locating but they use a 1748khz signal which can bleed to other paths easily. if you are in a congested area, locate the deepest utilities first and check depth both ways to verify the utility.

i have had very few damages due to my locating all usa markings that are done by others.

I bought a used RD from ex-wifes company (she works for a private locating company, hence how we met 12 yrs ago). Never liked the 521, nor tried the 700. Dynatel is nice too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought a used RD from ex-wifes company (she works for a private locating company, hence how we met 12 yrs ago). Never liked the 521, nor tried the 700. Dynatel is nice too.
Posted via Mobile Device
radio detection is the most popular unit for full time users.

i like my dynatel 573 dl a lot, it's just useful period.

my most used is a tempo tr4110 catv drop locator, it locates peak with a good signal and is handy as a shirt pocket.

you must trace wire paths to find valves?

I used to, now it's about every other month. Other LS contractors call me for their problems. Never advertised it. Usually pull out metal detector first to give them sh&t... "I'm paying him how much for this?!" lol only a few contractors here have the 521 (like 5 maybe).
Posted via Mobile Device

I used to, now it's about every other month. Other LS contractors call me for their problems. Never advertised it. Usually pull out metal detector first to give them sh&t... "I'm paying him how much for this?!" lol only a few contractors here have the 521 (like 5 maybe).
Posted via Mobile Device
why don't you like the 521/pro-700 (they're similar and i have both)?

do you have the rd user manual? i think i do

pete kills me, traveling around Europe with one of the prettier women on the rock and he still is able to check in here..............
She sleeps later than I do. i'm using you guys to kill time alittle in the morning with coffee.

We are having a blast though. Gottalove those cask beers. Stockholm was beautiful and the Vasa Museum was spectacular if you love old sailing war ships.

1idejim - I had better results with the RD. Each machine has its own "personallity", just found her sweet spot. The 521 was the first machine I used though. Never tried the 700.
Posted via Mobile Device

it's been out of production for awhile, you can find them often on ebay though.

they're similar to the 501 with a lower frequency and peak antenna, you can run it with one eye tied behind your back.

i was able to get a pdf manual from a sweet lady named veronica parks at tempo, she's the go to person imo at tempo.

Sweet. Where do i find that so I can print it out?
Peep page 1. The changes are BOLDED as "ROUTINE EXCAVATION"

"EXCAVATION"
SHALL NOT INCLUDE ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ON EXISTING PLANTED
LANDSCAPES.....

...."ROUTINE MAINTENANCE" MEANS A REGULAR ACTIVITY THAT
HAPPENS AT LEAST ONCE PER YEAR ON AN EXISTING PLANTED LANDSCAPE IF
EARTH IS NOT DISTURBED AT A DEPTH OF MORE THAN TWELVE INCHES BY
NONMECHANICAL MEANS OR FOUR INCHES BY MECHANICAL MEANS AND IF
THE ACTIVITIES ARE NOT INTENDED TO PERMANENTLY LESSEN THE GROUND
COVER OR LOWER THE EXISTING GROUND CONTOURS. MECHANICAL
EQUIPMENT USED FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE TASKS SHALL BE DEFINED AS
AERATORS, HAND-HELD ROTOTILLERS, SOIL INJECTION NEEDLES, LAWN
EDGERS, OVERSEEDERS, AND HAND TOOLS.

Looks like you need to dig with your bare hands past 4 inches to stay safe... At least the phone line at 1/2", you are covered on.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.