Lawn Care Forum banner

I cut a mismarked telephone wire today

9K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  CAPT Stream Rotar 
#1 ·
The H/o was PISSED!

it wasn't my fault if the company doesnt mark their lines properly...

H/O had a tough time dealing with that..

but it was an old wire with what I green, red, black, yellow..
but only the green and red looked like they went into the house.. after some stupid carry through port..

I tried like a mo fo to find where we cut it and couldn't.. clearly it was mismarked...which pissed me off...

anyone here made these kind of splices?

please help.

btw the old lady had a miscaraige...eh....maybe next time..

#8 ·
Phone wires should be easy to deal with. I think you have red and green, then yellow and black for a second line. There has to be a junction box outside, and from there you can connect a locater, after first unplugging the house. That lets you work from the house back to the street.

#9 ·
thanks guys..

I'm pretty beat up...trying to stay positive..

Boots are you familiar with those two wires? red green?

am i off in saying that its a simple splice and reconnect to the terminal and we are all set?

thats what it seems like...
The red and green is nornally line 1. The others are for addtl. Lines.

At least that's the way it is around here.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
how do you hook up wire tracker to a live telephone line?

this one I cut did have a wire with it..is that a tracer wire i guess?
i'm so sorry about the baby ed, so very sorry.

you use the end off of a line cord with the rj11 jack adapter, strip an end to connect the 521 to and insert the rj11 into the modular jack in the interface.

first you have to disconnect the line cord to the house, replace it with yours and locate as usual.

another way is to connect to the b-box or interface ground with the 521/pro-700 (you do this the same for live power) and locate normally.

if you are really congested you can run the cable sheath, connect to the cable with a self piercing clip or (best) strip a piece of the shield back.never connect the TDR to any phone line unless it's a spair pair at the pole.

again i'm really sorry about the baby

#24 ·
If it's a shielded phone wire then I typically connect the 521 to the shield.
If there are obvious wires that are not being used then you can connect to one of them.
Always make sure and pay attention to the utility locations and where they enter the house.
If in doubt use your "witching sticks" to see if anything might possibly be in the area that you are trenching/pulling/boring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.