I did it again......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jfire, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jfire

jfire LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,
    15 years later. I finally started again.
    New 60” Lazer Z. 8500 Redmax. Stihl FS 91 Trimmer. 6x10 utility trailer. New 1200lb tree dolly. Equipment defender blower, trimmer, gas can racks. Sure can gas cans.
    I’m shooting for replacement of my Capitol in less than one season. (I have a full time job as a FF medic). Thankfully I landed my first hoa contract already and in 1 month I billed out about 5K in tree replacements and other work. (No mowing yet. Tree install jobs, mulch installs and bed edging)
    I’ll be using this site to get recommendations on a parkway mower. (Honda HRX 217?) and also everything yardbooks.
    And for some reason I’m landing more estimates right away this time. Confidence with the conversations I’ve had with homeowners?
    I guess time will tell if I’ve made a wise decision on starting up again.
    Regards,
    Justin Bill
    B&H Landscape Management Inc.
    Yorkville, IL

2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome back to the industry. The Honda 217 is a great mower and should serve your purpose fine. Yardbook is what a lot of us use and so far has been a good program overall. Every question I emailed was answered right away. Lots of good topics on yard book floating around. Best of luck this year.

I' m also a medic/ff stay safe brother.

hort101 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Good gawd your doing all your tree installs with a dolly?
    Guess you can just cancel your gym membership?

Landing more estimates right away means your prices are too low.
    Try raising prices 10%
    If things slow down too much
    Go with 5%
    If they don’t slow down enough
    Try 15%

A good salesman should have a close ratio of 30 to 40%
    If you have higher than 50% close ratio you’re not charging enough or your selling cocaine.
    Either way that’s not good!

Marine03112 and RussellB like this.
  4. weeze

weeze Banned

5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh Weeze you had to go there !

weeze likes this.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Cool, I sold my business in 1992 and moved, didn't get back in the lawn business till 2008.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    hort101 likes this.
  7. TPendagast

Male

I swear I was always going to do something productive with my life, get a big boy job.
    USe my college edjumakation.
    I just get pulled back in every time I leave it.

I remember the last jaunt I had leaving the Green Industry... I was working in restaurant consultation/training back of house staff for franchises.

A particular chicken wing chain that shall remain nameless had this ridiculous string of stores with hideous irrigation leaks and duck ponds in the parking lots, coupled with dry spots.... it wasnt just one store it was three!
    I ended up fixing them because I couldnt contain myself!
    before long I was back into the biz.

My wife tells stories of me stalking neighborhoods to check out everything that needs fixing or is being done wrong, without me even knowing Im consciously doing it

hort101 likes this.
  8. larryinalabama

I made alot of money wrenching for Toyota dealers and real estate. But at 53 I plan to keep this business going till I die.

9. TPendagast

Male

Huh,

my kid is thinking of working for BRP doing wrenching.
    Howd you get into that? Do you go to school or start at a tire monkey and broom chaser and work your way up from inside?

10. larryinalabama

What is BRP?

I started wrenching at a dealer right after highschool, only thing I went too school for was a 40 hour course to get a smog cert. I never busted a tire in my first 10 years, until too work for a dealer that sold tires, the fellers laughed at me when I asked them how the tire machine worked.

Firestone stores will hire at a entry level and you will learn alot about suspension work, but after about 18 months you will need too move on or you wont learn anything else.

The key is too get ASE certified as soon as you can.