Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really bored, since Sunday morning I have been thinking about how I would best fit the skid steer and mini excavator on my trailer.
This was the trial test fit:

Next test will have the Cat with it's ass end up against the neck, and the blade of the excavator inside the bucket with the boom on the end of the trailer, then I don't need to jockey the end machine around to get the ramps to flip up and I can get more weight to the end of the trailer.
The truck suspension only went down an inch and the trailer suspension was only damn near bottomed out, Cat weighs 7600 lbs (full cab and bucket) and mini weighs 7200 (full cab and buckets) for a combined weight of 14,800 lbs.

I'm going to have to increase my insured GVW another 2000 kgs.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Ron, what are you allowed to haul on that bad boy? I think that would be pushing the limit down here without a CDL. I can't remember if you said you had a CDL or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks good ron, nothing beats going down the road with two machine trailing behind you. I always load my trailer with my s185 and 331 mini-excavator, you can see people pass you and turn their heads... thats right keep lookin!

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron, what are you allowed to haul on that bad boy? I think that would be pushing the limit down here without a CDL. I can't remember if you said you had a CDL or not.
I'm Class 1 with full air and multi-trailer combo's, I passed my Road test in October of last year.
My truck and trailer Licensed CGVW is 11,500 KGS, so I'll get it up to 13,500 to be safe.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ron, who manufactures your gooseneck trailer?

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ron, who manufactures your gooseneck trailer?
It's built by Snake River trailers, in the corresponding town of it's name.

I really should have looked around more, but this one was the most "economically" priced at the time. But I need to do about $1200 in welding to it to get it up to my specifications, things like beefing up the ramps and beaver tail for heavier equipment (15,000+ lbs) stronger tie downs between the stake pockets, and yes, a deck on the neck for carrying a bucket from the skid steers and eventually a concealed fuel tank in the frame rails and winch package.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just noticed something! there is a boobcrap seat in your mini!! what the crap is up with that!! you hate them but yet your representing them? hmm so what is the crazy story behind that ron?
I'm surprised no one else has caught on with that by now, that seat has been in there since Fall of last year.
The story is that Wajax couldn't put a "good" suspension seat in there for under $1500, and they also said it might be too tall for the cab, and your head would hit the roof, yet Deere has them in their mini's.
So I popped the cab up, took the measurements from my T190's seat and all I had to do was re-drill the holes 1/4" inside the existing seat mount holes, bolt it down and it was ready to go. All it cost me was $800 and 2 hours on the weekend. It's much better than the factory seat, but not like the Cat and Komatsu seats they have, so but is an improvement.

·
Registered
28,605 Posts
when i said put the bucket of the cat up there i meant turn it so the engine compartment of it is to the back of the trailer and you could raise the boom up and set the bucket up there. that is the way dad used to do it with a 773 and a 331..

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something like that, even when I carry the utility bucket and grapple bucket and the jackhammer is on the skid steer, just having one bucket on the neck saves more space.
This was merely a test to see if my measurements payed off, the true test is actual driving and like Gravel Rat always warns of......STOPPING POWER.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thanks Ron. I'm in the process of specing a gooseneck for my truck as well to haul a 3000 ROC CTL and attachments and a 12K- 14k lb mini. Anything else I should keep in mind?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Ron. I'm in the process of specing a gooseneck for my truck as well to haul a 3000 ROC CTL and attachments and a 12K- 14k lb mini. Anything else I should keep in mind?
I highly recommend a PJ gooseneck. If you are interested give me a call at toll free 866-463-9911 and I can give you prices and all the info you ever need on them. We are a large dealer in central PA with over 40 new PJ goosenecks in stock. In that mess there's bound to be one you're looking for!! Our hours are M-F 8-5 and Sat 8-12. Ask for Wendall.

·
Registered
28,605 Posts
I highly recommend a PJ gooseneck. If you are interested give me a call at toll free 866-463-9911 and I can give you prices and all the info you ever need on them. We are a large dealer in central PA with over 40 new PJ goosenecks in stock. In that mess there's bound to be one you're looking for!! Our hours are M-F 8-5 and Sat 8-12. Ask for Wendall.
how fast can a dealership get a gooseneck? when we bought our pj we would have had to wait until june to get a gooseneck and we needed a trailer right away so we got stuck with a bumper pull.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The only bad part about licensing the F-450 for a gvw that heavy now you need a annual CVI for the truck and trailer. It can be a real pain in the backside.

As for loading the Cat and Excavator on the trailer you want the excavator on the back and the cab parallel to the sides of the trailer and the boom sticking straight out the back. You can curl the boom down so it sits on the beaver tail and throws some weight rearward.

You can throw a set of timbrens in the 450 to help the squat it also helps support the frame above the the rear axle. The S110 rear axle in the F-450 is good for 14,500lbs but Ford rates it at 11,000lbs. You just want to limit the pin weight.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.