I got fired today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon Cunniff, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Jon Cunniff

Jon Cunniff LawnSite Member

ive got this account that is two pretty big properties. 3.5 and 2.5 acres owned by a couple. I typically take care of all their trees, mowing, flower beds, building fences etc etc Anything and everything. I pretty much do everything I can and I always do my very best work. Today they fired me because I haven’t mowed their yard in two weeks. It’s been raining here almost daily for the last couple of months. I’ve been in contact with them every few days about the weather. I thought they were on board with me waiting for it to dry out. They even asked that I not come two days in a row last week when I tried to go because they thought it would rain and didn’t want me not getting it all done at once. I reached out to go mow this morning as the rain finally stopped and they let me know they got another contractor because I wasn’t keeping up with the mowing. I really didnt have much to say. I was kind of shocked. They’ve always seemed so happy with my work. They even put good reviews up for me several times over the last few months. I’m wondering if there’s more to it but good grief. I really wasn’t expecting that one.

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

It sucks to lose good accounts but it happens. Sounds like they have something else going on. My guess is you are going to see somebody new doing all the work there and they will be doing it cheaper to. On any account there is always going to be some one doing things for less money.

Mark Oomkes and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

It sucks but you don't keep em all for ever.

4. OP
    OP
    Jon Cunniff

Yeah you’re right about that. Just sucks loosing a big one over nothing. I would understand if I had messed up or no-showed them or something. Guess it will free me up to work on expanding a little.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear but your the lucky winner of God knows what. Posting at 4:20 on 4/20

zlandman, DXN1EL, Walker56 and 13 others like this.
  6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

It seem like rain affected every LCO last year in ways that weren't seen in the past. I did all my fall cleanups in the rain last year. Lets hope this doesn't continue for 2019.

zlandman and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Jon Cunniff

You got that right. Leaf clean up this year was a lot harder in the south than I’ve ever seen. Normally we have a winter drought but this was the wettest winter I can remember. Maybe it’ll be good for the mowing season and the grass will be growing good.

kemco and hort101 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Jon Cunniff

Well in all honesty that’s exactly what my wife said. He always has something else in store for us.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There’s more to it

They found a bigger more qualified company that can cut in the rain
    They got to talking and yada yada yada got talked into hiring them.
    This kind of thing happens to solos and little guys
    Don’t take it too personally
    It happens to big guys too - customer would rather have the owner doing their work than some guy named Juan

Mark Oomkes and Cam15 like this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Imo if you're confident you've been providing good service and customer service its about price

When it dont make sense....
    Its about the dollars and cents.payup

Mshawn, DXN1EL, Walker56 and 3 others like this.