I got some free time, gonna take a ride.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
On my making money push mowing thread, the direction steered towards considering standers, walkers ect. Some said get a 48” put some gas in and fire er up, while others said to take a close look at my current and target properties to choose the absolute best mower as dropping the money on the wrong piece will hurt.
So I'm gonna take a ride, on a nice day I’ll ride around on my bike and look at the yards that fit my target, I’ll also look closely when in my car. What am I looking at when deciding what size mower to grow into? Obviously the general gate styles to backyard are high on the list, I’m in the low country so no real hills. I’ll be targeting small to medium sized properties and focusing on the uncluttered yards without much planters and old lady decorations. But I do have 2 what I call large properties that take an hour and 45 to do with a 21”. Here’s a progression of my service so far. My Honda cut the time in half compared to the Lawnboy I used initially. With my Turfmaster being completely gone over and improved, I expect to cut my time again at least 40% over the hrx217 on larger yards. What can I expect from a top line, say, Ferris 36” or nice 32” if necessary, in comparison to the 7hp Turfmaster? Will a great 32”- 36” that cuts really fast double my speed yet again? I say 32”-36” because by the time I get out a trim mower for a smaller gate I could have finished half the backyard with the 32” I was already on. I’m not foolishly going to buy an expensive mower tomorrow but I want to start being prepared for when it is needed. For me to get really swamped with my 30” with no plans for what to buy seems reckless. And say I really like some model that is going to take weeks to arrive in the season, I’ll be tuning down clients that could possibly be clients for years because I didn’t have a plan well in advance. Wouldn’t a small stander be much better for a first timer then trying to squeeze a 48” all kinds of places?

Last edited:
OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Just another thought, some have said that they just don’t take gated backyards but I’m just beginning and the only clients I drop so far are rude and unreasonable ones. Everything else can be dropped and replaced when I have a full schedule book.

I remember this dude Ron who was so annoying, canceled service a few times then calling the next day at dinner time asking if I could make it over because the grass is long. I remember texting him about being a nuisance and I couldn’t service the property any longer. Just a funny story but being new I take things I don’t like.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
On my making money push mowing thread, the direction steered towards considering standers, walkers ect. Some said get a 48” put some gas in and fire er up, while others said to take a close look at my current and target properties to choose the absolute best mower as dropping the money on the wrong piece will hurt.
So I'm gonna take a ride, on a nice day I’ll ride around on my bike and look at the yards that fit my target, I’ll also look closely when in my car. What am I looking at when deciding what size mower to grow into? Obviously the general gate styles to backyard are high on the list, I’m in the low country so no real hills. I’ll be targeting small to medium sized properties and focusing on the uncluttered yards without much planters and old lady decorations. But I do have 2 what I call large properties that take an hour and 45 to do with a 21”. Here’s a progression of my service so far. My Honda cut the time in half compared to the Lawnboy I used initially. With my Turfmaster being completely gone over and improved, I expect to cut my time again at least 40% over the hrx217 on larger yards. What can I expect from a top line, say, Ferris 36” or nice 32” if necessary, in comparison to the 7hp Turfmaster? Will a great 32”- 36” that cuts really fast double my speed yet again? I say 32”-36” because by the time I get out a trim mower for a smaller gate I could have finished half the backyard with the 32” I was already on. I’m not foolishly going to buy an expensive mower tomorrow but I want to start being prepared for when it is needed. For me to get really swamped with my 30” with no plans for what to buy seems reckless. And say I really like some model that is going to take weeks to arrive in the season, I’ll be tuning down clients that could possibly be clients for years because I didn’t have a plan well in advance. Wouldn’t a small stander be much better for a first timer then trying to squeeze a 48” all kinds of places?
Sounds like you are on the right track. I'd get a 36" stander, or hydro walk behind, and not look back. As you grow, and if you find you are getting more open lawns that don't have fences and gates, you can add a larger zero turn.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Here are three of my yards that characterize what I do. First is my neighbor, this is where I got my start. She was paying $60 for her landscaper and it takes me 30 minutes for $40. I consider this a small job

01B94883-15B5-4AED-BA7D-5BC4AD7CD367.jpeg

#2 is a medium sized yard that takes me just under an hour for $50. She loves my service and says I should consider charging more for what I offer.

ED847F16-0917-48A5-9850-67311D943A3A.jpeg

3rd is my biggest yard, it takes me an hour and 45 minutes for $100.
43AAA97E-28FD-4688-8589-BD192B2DB123.jpeg

the second two will benefit the most by far from the 30” and even more from a serious mower.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Sounds like you are on the right track. I'd get a 36" stander, or hydro walk behind, and not look back. As you grow, and if you find you are getting more open lawns that don't have fences and gates, you can add a larger zero turn.
A walker and sulky would be great. The price is lower and I could stomach the cost of a top tier model much easier. With a hydro walker and sulky can I reverse quickly and easily without jackknifing? For the years I’d get out of a quality mower, the higher price for a stander is easier to rationalize if I’m constantly being hindered by difficulty in reversing with a walker.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
A walker and sulky would be great. The price is lower and I could stomach the cost of a top tier model much easier. With a hydro walker and sulky can I reverse quickly and easily without jackknifing? For the years I’d get out of a quality mower, the higher price for a stander is easier to rationalize if I’m constantly being hindered by difficulty in reversing with a walker.

I believe you are meaning (walk behind mower)
This is a Walker mower.
Screenshot_20210204-103748_Chrome.jpg

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
The 2 wheel sulky should reverse ok, I don't know if I'd call it quickly. And I've seen vids of guys reversing a single wheel while still on it. But the 2 wheel would be the best bet.

They also make something called a pro slide. It's a spring loaded platform that you stand on and it drags the ground. It kin of works as a stripe kit. You step off and it flips up into the machine out of the way. Tons of pros and cons on those, but it's out there. Costs about the same realistically.

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Stander all the way. I know the price is tough, look at a stander b by wright if you have a wright dealer around. Good mower for a good price. You'll cut those yards easily in half the time if not 1/3 of the time. A stander IMO is mush easier to operate than a WB with a velky or sulky. Sulky will break your knees in half if your not careful with it. I didnt want to spend 9100 on my new mower last year but my old stander went down and it was either I had to buy it or fold the business. Simply cause with it being my side gig I could not do 18 yards that i had in one day with a push mower. And i didnt have time to skip them and go back cause my mower ended up needing a cylinder head. That also set me back $700 to get it fixed . But honestly ive told so many on here that that 52" wright i bought is the best thing I have ever done for the business. The productivity is unmatched. I had a 34" gravely wb to start the season and the same yard that took me 35mins with the wb i was able to complete in 15mins. And that was pulling up, unloading mowing, trimming, blowing and packing up and leaving.

I know some people were talking bad about bi weekly customers. I have about 50/50 mix of weekly and bi weekly folks. Bi weekly does royaly suck for me since im part time and if it rains out im screwed. Hopefully it dries enough for me to complete my route on sunday ( if customers dont mind me being there sunday). I learned quickly mowing in the rain with a machine that weighs 900+lbs is not the best thing to do. Customers dont like ruts in there yard lol. But hey you live and learn. And bi weeklys during prime time most had to be double cut to look good. I dont like leaving clippings everywhere personally i just dont think it looks good and i want my customers neighbors to be amazed when they see how their neighbors yard turns out after ive been there. No matter what your gunna run into issues throughout the year and youll have to find the best way to overcome them. Best of luck my man!

Top Forums