Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Lady from Church..school teacher who has her ailing 90 year old Mother with her. Wonderful People but The Mother is near end of road. Any free time teacher is tending to Mother. My inner self tell's me to just put up with it- Dog Do-Do in back yard that is. While Teacher is gone for long hours of Day..Mother has this Dog to keep her company. She is not able to walk hardly so just lets dog out in back yard. So sad too as yard is very nice, lots and lots of flowers and yard decor..and then lots of 'yellow' Dog treated grass. It is a mine field to mow..As hard as I try..always hit some,or step in it. I know the Mom is on her last leg so I am hoping the Dog goes when She does- All though I don't hope for her passing soon as She is a sweet Lady. Would you just put up with it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dog poo, whether you hate it or not, is always going to be a factor in the lawn care business. If you've ever been to a pig farm, you'd appreciate a yard or two with "land mines"! Your choices are limited to either have the customer clean up after the dog, buy a scooper and clean the yard before you mow, or learn to tolerate it.

After I've watched a couple episodes of "Dirty Jobs", ocassional land mines don't seem too bad!!

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Dog poop is too nasty to ignore. It's a big source of worms and other pathogens that humans are susceptible to. In most communities it's illegal to let dog **** lay around.
Dispose of it & bill them an appropriate fee.

You're the only one in the situation that can do anything about it. If they want to pay you, fine. If they want to get rid fo the dog, fine.
If they want to play "lets-ignore-the-problen-to-see-if-the-lawn-guy-will-do-it-for-free" not so fine.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to mow over dog crap. I've been around dogs my whole life and i have always cleaned up the lawn at least once a week. Never did we just mow over it. i don't see why any dog owner would not clean it up other than pure laziness.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to mow over dog crap. I've been around dogs my whole life and i have always cleaned up the lawn at least once a week. Never did we just mow over it. i don't see why any dog owner would not clean it up other than pure laziness.
Yeah - I would have to agree with you DLCS. . .

Imagine this: a 30x40 lawn, fenced, gated, no gardens - and a 120 lb. black lab. Oh, and did I mention that the customer only picks up the stuff twice a month!
Yes, I think a price increase is in order very soon - this thread has me convinced. :laugh:

·
Registered
160 Posts
its just part of the business ive had it fly into my mouth while trimming its one way to teach someone to keep there mouth shut i rarly step in it because i only walk while trimming/blowing but it somtimes gets on the tires and smells bad but like i said its just part of mowing grass and obviously these people are lazy they are paying somone the equvalent of $50-60/hr to mow there lawn when you know the majority of them dont make any where near that much in there job

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lady I used to work for had a huge Deere riding mower(not sure on the model) that would just suck the stuff right up. She had 4 dogs and there was almost never any dog crap anywhere.

That seemed to work just fine.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
The smell of fresh cut grass and dog doo is all part of the day. Its not a big deal and i see alot of guys complaining on here. Just f##%ing mow.
I don't agree. A pile here or there is one thing. Heavy manure in a yard is another. I'm not working in that type of conditions unnoticed. I plan to do a better job starting next season advising of my policy on heavy dog manure up front.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
An occasional pile here and there is one thing, but when the owner hardly or never cleans up after his dogs we drop them. They are sent a letter first stating that on our next visit the yard will have to be clean of dog poop. If it isn't, adios.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You guys sound like a bunch of little girls. My day doesn't start until I step in some crap or hit it with the trimmer and get it all over my pants leg.

No seriously, I can see if you had to walk the lawn and every step is in a big pile of crap:walking:. But all of you guys talking about you dont want to get poo on your pretty little mower tires need to snap out of your diva ways and realize what industry you chose to be in.

Thats just you 2 cents!

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You guys sound like a bunch of little girls. My day doesn't start until I step in some crap or hit it with the trimmer and get it all over my pants leg.

No seriously, I can see if you had to walk the lawn and every step is in a big pile of crap:walking:. But all of you guys talking about you dont want to get poo on your pretty little mower tires need to snap out of your diva ways and realize what industry you chose to be in.

Thats just you 2 cents!
Sounds to me like you have some pretty shi++y customers. You can have them.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I chose the green industry....not the brown poo industry. Working in heavy dog manure is not what I choose to do. Customers can pick that crap up or get dropped. Or get rid of the mongrel that drops the bombs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.