I was due for a new wearplate anyway, so I bought a sheet of 1/4" polyethylene (my brother the engineer analyzed the material, and thats what it is). But, I made it larger. Original wearplate had a botton size of13x24"; I made my new one 16x28". This gives me 448 sq. in. vs. 312 sq. in., or an increase of 44% in contact with the ground. I expect this to allow quicker, tighter turns. Also, with less pulling resistance, I might get a tad more speed, and better gas mileage. One thing nice about a Proslide is that you can move your feet around if you get a little tired or uncomfortable. BTW, I glued a thick mat to mine last year, really added to the comfort.