1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

I just want to spray Round-Up Pro

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PROCUTS LAWNCARE, Apr 28, 2012.


    PROCUTS LAWNCARE LawnSite Member
    Messages: 75

    Can someone please tell me what I need to do, I just want to beable to spray weeds legally. Is there a license for just weed spray?

    Thank you,

  2. Cadzilla

    Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 903

    Most if not all states require some sort of right of way addition to your general pesticide license for roundup spraying or vegetation control. Check with your state department of agriculture or governing body.
  3. Dbry12

    Dbry12 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 50

    It just depends on where you plan on spraying. As in flower beds, crack and crevis weeds, and so on. There are mulitiple certifications you need to spray.
  4. Think Green

    Think Green LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,746

  5. gebby

    gebby LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 712

    I'm not going to tell you what to do but, if you are going to treat anything other than what you own, The Dept. Of Ag says you got to have a license, Bus License and Insurance. As mentioned before go to their web sight to get the details.
  6. gebby

    gebby LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 712

    I know that it can be some what confusing wonering what and where to go. Try this. It will get you where you need to be. http://pested.osu.edu/
    You can also google pested.osu.edu
    There is a lot of information. To get your licence you will have to study, first take the core test. Then after that figure what catigories you want then take those test. I would get the study materials. You will get a 2 arm full of books for only $35.00. They will mail to you or you can pick them up in Ryenoldsburg. They also have seminars to help you. They will go over the many of the items that are on the test. If you want to cut through all of the crap, just call them, tell them what you are after and they will explain it to you. I got mine last year and everybody I talked to was very helpful. Good Luck.
  7. Jason Rose

    Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,858

    By the time you pay all the annual fees and for the liability insurance you have $800 to $1,000 out of pocket, annually, just to maintain your license. You have to decide "is it worth it"? If you are only doing some round-up spraying in cracks and beds, I'd say NO. If you were doing weed control apps on 100 or so lawns per round, that's about the break even point where the cost of the license and insurance is a small enough % of the expenses to make it worth while.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Curtis

    Curtis LawnSite Member
    Messages: 161

    This guy at work said his neighbor got caught after the initial warning ,with his sprayer in the bed of the truck. The fine will be a quick 500.00. He told the inspector that he had the books in the truck for the test but that wasn't good enough.
  9. Pythium

    Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO
    Messages: 166

    I am in your general area, west side of Cleveland if you need a subcontractor let me know. The license you need is a 6c landscape bed weed control. Allows you to chemically control weeds in landscape beds. You need to pass the core exam also. See the links mentioned above.

Share This Page