Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rental house that i mow and it is about 96% weeds, and a bunch of different kinds. I want to kill it off and replant. I took round-up to a couple places in the yard this spring, tilled it up and planted. The grass started coming up but was quickly taken over by some thick bladed weeds with a little tassle on it. I am planning on taking round-up to the entire yard but, i dont want weeds to come back. I am guessing the weeds came because i tilled it. If i take round-up to the yard and rent a power seeder and seed over the dead weeds, and water the hell out of it, will the weeds stay away? I did this to my yard last year (but over fescue) and it worked good and now have a nice yard.

Should i just do what i mentioned, or do i need to do something else?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It depends on how much work you want to do or how intensively you plan to maintain it. Probably using the Roundup, plus a contact herbicide such as "Scythe" will work. Your overseeding will be much more successful if you scalp it with a mower and remove that material once it's dead or well on its way before slit-seeding. Get some starter fertilizer down just before you slit seed it. Slit and seed it in at least two directions. Buy good seed. This is a good time of year to tackle your project.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, this is the time i did my lawn last year and it came back pretty good. Had to do some more over seeding this spring, but overall it was good. If i take round up to the yard tonight, do i put the Scythe on tonight as well, or do i wait? After the existing is dead, i would lower the mower as low as it can go and cut it. I dont remember when i did it, but up here in NE Nebraska, if i take round up now, and do a second follow up in about a week, i should be able to get the seed down by the first or before. This should be enough time to re-establish the yard shouldnt it?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yes, I think you have plenty of time. You can put those two chemicals down together. If it appears to be uniformly dead, scalp it and go on. It might take a second application as you said. You can probably spray and mow 5-7 days later if you want to push it. Might get better results form the herbicides if you water the area first as you would a lawn. You want that Roundup to move through the plant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.