• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

I Need a Ogura 3.5 MC07 Electric Clutch

Tex Red

LawnSite Member
I have a Scag Wildcat that has been having problems with the electric clutch and I need to get another one. Any suggestions on where I can get a Ogura 3.5 MC07 clutch? The Scag part# is 461660. I would rather not go through the dealer if possible.

Thanks

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Just call J Thomas with that info and they will get you a quote for it. Will be cheaper than the dealer.

OP
T

Tex Red

LawnSite Member
djagusch - Thanks for the reply. Help me out though, I don't know who J Thomas is, nor do I have a phone number of him.

Thanks

OP
T

Tex Red

LawnSite Member
Fixdiss - If you would like you can read more about the problem on a thread I had posted entitled "Scag Wildcat Fuse Problems" posted on 12-16-09. But to answer your question about adjusting the air gap here is what I discovered: 1st slot was .016; the second slot I could get the .016 feeler gauge in, but there was a good amout of drag on it; the third slot measured in at .014. The mower keeps blowing fuses after running the deck for about 15-20 min. When I check it with an amp meter it runs at about 19 amps. I have checked the harness/switch and there doesn't seem to be a problem when I do a resistance test. The only thing left that I know of is the clutch. If you have any suggestions on what else I should or could look at I am all ears. I would rather not have to spend the money on a new clutch, especially since this one doesn't even have 500 hours on it!

FIXDISS

LawnSite Senior Member
I believe the air gap should be set at .012". Too much air gap will cause high amp draw and even blow fuses. You stated it will work for about 15-20 min so before you spend $200 plus on a clutch ,try adjusting the air gap.

OP
T

Tex Red

LawnSite Member
Fixdiss - thanks for the link and the advice. However, I should have told you my mower is a Wildcat 61" with a 27 horse Kohler on it. Here is what the Ogura website says: "With a feeler gauge of between .013-.015 for clutches used on 25 horsepower and under, and .015-.022 for clutches used on 25-31 horsepower, tighten each nut down until slight contact is felt on the feeler gauge." According to those numbers my clutch is right down at the bottom end of the tolerances.

I was also given the following link in my previous post - it is from a Scag tech manual:
http://www.ganos.com/electricclutchadjustment.pdf

I did an ohms test on the clutch but I don't remember what it was off the top of my head. It said that a high amp draw could be the result of three things: shorted coil, bad switch, bad battery. I put in a different battery, and bypassed the switch and got the same readings.

I have done everything I know to do to try and eliminate the clutch, but I can't find anything else that it could be. I am still open for any suggestions though.

Thanks

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
Try running seperate wires with a fuse directly to the clutch from the battery and measuring what it draws. I am betting you have a loose connection somewhere. Or it could be the clutch itself. After the 15-20 minutes of use can you just put a fuse in and start back up again?

Also I really dont think the air gap will vary the current draw. A clutch is an eltro magnet. Its just a coil of wire. It will draw the same amps regardless of the air gap. However the temperature of that coil of wire can change the draw...and a slipping clutch would create excess heat...

OP
T

Tex Red

LawnSite Member
pugs - It starts right up again when I put a new fuse in it. I think I have tried running it directly off the batter with separate wires, but I can't say for certain. I got so frustrated with it that I started working on some other projects so it has been a few weeks since I messed with it. Plus, I have tried so many things, I can't remember all I have done. I will try that and see what kind of amp draw I get.

Also, let me add this, I have the mower up on jack stands and after running the deck that way for a couple of tests I decided it would be safer it I took the deck belt off. Even with it not turning the deck I still get a high amp draw.

Thanks