1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

I need a pesticide license

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by troblandscape, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. troblandscape

    troblandscape Guest
    Messages: 0

    Question 1: I absolutely can not apply fertilizer to any account if I don't have a license,

    Question 2: Can I use round-up or any weed killer?

    Question 3: I live in S.E. Pa Where can I find out where there are classes for a pesticides license

    Thank You
  2. mulchmonkey2000

    mulchmonkey2000 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 42


    the answer to your questions are, #1 any moron can go to walmart and buy all the fertilizer in the world and place it on there own lawn not knowing a damn thing about fertilizer, but you can not go to a customers house and legally put down fertilizer. The same goes for #2, any moron can go and buy a bottle of concentrated roundup and pour in on their lawn so that nothing will grow there for the next 10 years, but you can't even water down the roundup to the point that it doesn't do a damn thing and legally put it down. I dunno where you would go for the applicators test and what you would need to study. That is something that i have to look into myself this year. I'm sure someone else on here can answer that one for both you and me. That is if it ever gets warm enough to melt all this snow!! :dizzy:
  3. Scraper

    Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,656

    Trob...Follow this link and it will provide all the information you need to become licensed. You will also need to obtain business license which require an endorsement on your liability insurance and at least $1M general. http://www.pested.psu.edu/index.html

    As for your questions:

    #1 - You can apply fertilizer, but not a fertilizer which contains a pesticide (i.e. weed & feed, insect control).

    #2 - You cannot use Round-Up or any other herbicide without certification and business license

    #3 - See link above. It will tell you were tests are, when they are and who to contact. They appear to be be offered monthly at this point and each County Cooperative Extension ha different dates. You also must order the study materials from Penn State for use at the test. The Core is closed book, but common sense, the category specific you will need the materials as it is open book. You better hurry up as the testing spots fill up quick. I'd call and schedule the test even before you got your study materials. A tip...look over the Core materials, but don't overkill studying for the Category. Just review the Category materials to see what is covered in each then you won't be wasting time during the exam trying to find answer.

    Any questions feel free to ask.

    P.S. Mulchmonkey...see above...

    P.P.S. You have to be a moron if you can't pass this test the first try. It is that simple.
  4. troblandscape

    troblandscape Guest
    Messages: 0

    Scraper.... Thank You!!

Share This Page