1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

i need advice on getting all my ducks in a row, trying to go pro

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by southwest lawn care, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. southwest lawn care

    southwest lawn care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    i work full time and mow yards on weekends and whenever i can. i would really like to expand and do this full-time. i'm not really sure what kind of business license and contractors license i need, i also don't know where to get insurance from, i really would appreciate all the advice i could get on this.
  2. Grits

    Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida
    Messages: 2,994

    I would go talk to an accountant, first thing. They can show you the benefits of different classifications of companies. e.g. LLC, S-Corp, Sole Prop. For insurance, start talking with agents. You shouldn't have to pay over $700 yearly for liability. I have 300,000/600,000 and I pay around $575. I have heard of some getting better deals, too. As far as licenses, it depends what all you are planning on doing. Applying pesticides, etc.? Better have a certified applicators license. You need to have occupational licenses in the counties/cities you plan on working. Do all of these things and you will be getting a good start. Hope this helps. Welcome to the site.
  3. Bueller

    Bueller LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    Yes I agree, accountant first. But do your homework, because my acountant was almost $200/ hr. What is your target.. res and comm.? Because comm you need at least a million of insurance. Your licenses based on what you are going to offer for services. I think it would be hard to make it if you only offer mowing. And equipment and tools, as well as your budget and plan. I spent more than i made on these things. But still would change a thing. Homework..Homework..Homework

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,981

    Southwest...you're in Virginia, so call Erie Insurance, they will get you the insurance coverage you need at a very good rate.

    Just call your county/city offices and they can instruct you on getting the business license...it's very cheap really nothing to worry about.
  5. southwest lawn care

    southwest lawn care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    i really do appreciate everyones help and advice, thanks alot.

Share This Page