I need some help from a Florida or South lawn expert please!

rudeboy3

LawnSite Member
Hey all,

Im a west coast guy, you know 21 inch mowers only in a pickup, fescue year round, tiny yards, etc. I got a new account, and they have St Augustine (I think) and ive never dealt with this. Ever. It's the only grass in the neighborhood that has this. It's been nothing but a problem the homeowner, now me.
A couple things. It's REALLY tall, but not the blades. Almost every time on the tallest setting it turns yellow. It's almost like a 5 inch sponge. Is that actually thatch? Do I use my power rake on it? How do I make this healthy? It's yellow in spots with water and fertilizer. Attached is a pic of the edge, I hope it shows what im talking about.

20200716_084425.jpg

Digitaria Sanguinalis

LawnSite Senior Member
Looks like Bermuda. If it is Bermuda it likes to be mowed short. Less than 2” , ideally less than 1”.

You need to reset the height of cut to avoid the yellowing. My suggestion is to perform a mid summer scalp. You need to scalp it lower than the final height of cut. For example if you want to maintain it at 2” you need to scalp it to 1.5” or 1” and allow it grow into the height you want to maintain.

OP
rudeboy3

rudeboy3

LawnSite Member
Looks like Bermuda. If it is Bermuda it likes to be mowed short. Less than 2” , ideally less than 1”.

You need to reset the height of cut to avoid the yellowing. My suggestion is to perform a mid summer scalp. You need to scalp it lower than the final height of cut. For example if you want to maintain it at 2” you need to scalp it to 1.5” or 1” and allow it grow into the height you want to maintain.
Oh interesting! I'll post another photo to confirm, let me know if you are positive on the ID of Bermuda! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Not bermuda, could be zoyzia

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Scalp it to dirt. Thereafter maintain no higher than 0.7"

OP
rudeboy3

rudeboy3

LawnSite Member
Thanks a lot for the replies, man, how the hell did Zoysia grass find its way to southern California? So can I run my power rake over it?

Top Forums