I need some help from a Florida or South lawn expert please!

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Zoysia will break conventional power rakes. Most efficient way to dethatch Zoysia is to cut it down to the dirt. Next most efficient way is with a Verticutter designed for golf greens or bowling greens with the star shaped carbide tipped blades. But, you will need to scalp that lawn to dirt first before using a Verticutter

OP
rudeboy3

rudeboy3

LawnSite Member
Zoysia will break conventional power rakes. Most efficient way to dethatch Zoysia is to cut it down to the dirt. Next most efficient way is with a Verticutter designed for golf greens or bowling greens with the star shaped carbide tipped blades. But, you will need to scalp that lawn to dirt first before using a Verticutter
Damn really!? So this stuff really is a pain. Can it be overseeded for a winter grass? Should we just round up and start over with fescue?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I am not sure how or why it even got to your parts. It might be a lawn established by the full page ads in the Sunday paper. Amazoy Zoysia. It is not as simple as an application of RoundUp and re seed to get rid of it. I have had to apply multiple rounds of Pylex and Round Up to kill it.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
If you take it down to dirt I'd order some sod. I don't think it would grow back anytime soon.
I call Zoysia the zombie grass. Scalping does not kill it. Burning does not kill it. Glyphosate alone does not kill it.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Zoysia also has underground rhizomes from which it can regenerate. Think of it more like bamboo that is mowed to lawn height. I have taken lawns that look like what the O P posted down to dirt. In 2-3 weeks time they have completely greened back up. I have also used a propane torch to burn such a lawn down to dirt. Greens back up in less than a month. Applying only one application of Glyphosate to a Zoysia lawn or not tank mixing the Glyphosate with other herbicides known to be toxic to the Zoysia guarantees it will contaminate the next lawn.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Good to know. I've never dealt with one that bad.
In the transition zone you will never see one that bad. Killing frosts every year keep Zoysia under control. Below the transition zone, Zoysia becomes something I do not wish on people I hate. It takes so much resources and work to keep it maintainable. It must be mowed low. It should not be heavily fertilized. It must not be over watered.

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
It may be Zoysia but in southern California I would have guessed Kikuyu if so enjoy :) it's not easy to get rid of, here it's a fairly common grass ( possibly because it grows from runners above and below ground and also from seed )can be mown pretty well anywhere from 1/2 inch to 5 inches drought tolerant and good with traffic,if you mow as low as you can it will grow back

Top Forums