I need to make tan colored mortar

bigslick7878

LawnSite Senior Member
Are products to do this readily available at the local HD or Lowes? Never really came across a situation where I needed to do this until now.

Time is an issue here, online order won't get here in time frame needed.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
cant you go to a local brick supplier and get it?

Belair Road Supply?

OP
B

bigslick7878

LawnSite Senior Member
cant you go to a local brick supplier and get it?

Belair Road Supply?
Don't know, that is why I asked!

I was thinking if the big stores didn't have it I could call around to different places and could find it like a brick/concrete place. Just can't remember if I have ever seen it at HD before, I think they might just have white and that is it.

I don't know how many people are rolling in there looking for a specialty item like that, probably not many.

I just have this long flagstone path I "restored" and the stoop by the front door was butchered with nice concrete mix for the joints(yay!) that is pretty much impossible to get out without a ton of time and money. It has holes/gaps and I used the Gator Dust for the path but it won't work for how the stoop is laid out(it sits higher, all broken down nowhere for the sand to sit), need to touch up all the joints with a mortar to cover the abomination that is there now and need to get as close to a tan/beige as possible.

Oh and they are listing their house for sale and the realtor is taking pictures Monday, so I have a couple days to figure this out real fast. No pressure.

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
I have seen liquids in HD that you can mix into mortar and cement. They have 6 or so colors that you can mix.

Bru75

LawnSite Senior Member
Home Depot, Lowes, or a brick supplier should have an additive in stock, either liquid or dry.
The hard part is going to be how much to mix to get the color you want. To get a light tan you might need to start with white mortar and sand.

GreenLight

LawnSite Senior Member
That's not really uncommon at all. As mentioned earlier, all the brick companies in town here carry 70 lb bags of Buff, Light Buff, Tan, Etc Mortar. All you do is add sand, the portland is already in it. They generally have a huge collection of finished samples to color match with too.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
Call a brick or concrete supply house and they will have the mortar color, but you can also get some concrete stain and just stain the area's needed.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't know if your situation is relevant, but here's another trick when blending old and new mortar.

If you are fixing mortar joints on already mortared material, the trick is to take out the old mortar that is there and crush it in a bucket as fine as you can.

Then mix it in with your new mortar. Then when it dries, it will look close to the existing mortar that is there already.

OneLineAtATime

LawnSite Member
HD has a dark brown made by Quickcrete, mix in till color desired