I need to offer 401k and health Ins, anyone have resources?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ijustwantausername, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the only thing separating me from the bigger guys is this. I thought about a SIMPLE 401k. No idea where to start for the health ins?

Companies that you deal with or recommend? Me and 3 full time guys. Thanks.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well

I don’t know who the “big guys” are, but not too many of them have health insurance either.
    You have to be pretty big before it makes sense/is mandated.
    We had it before Obama care made health insurance too expensive and everyone but bluecross/blue shield dropped the state of ak and doesn’t provide insurance here.

Don’t the People who work for you qualify for obummer care?
    Did you ask them or new applicants if they care?
    Because of how OBC is structured sometimes it’s actually worse for them if their employee offers health insurance, check into it, do some research.

Mark Stark likes this.
  3. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

I was told by my health insurance provider that if we offered health insurance and our guys opted out of ours they would not qualify for Gov't health care.

4. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

I set my 401k up through Paychex.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Right
    So what benefit do you give them by offering healthcare?
    Is it cheaper for them?
    Better coverage?
    Look at it from their perspective
    Talk to them
    Ask them
    Ask perspective new hires, does it matter to them?

IMO the market place is a PIA
    Signing up for your coverage is easy as pie
    But is it more valuable to your workers?

OBC changed a lot of the dynamics
    If your guys are getting paid $15 or less then the market place is probably better for them , especially if they get laid off for any period of time.
    If they’re paid 18 and work 2000 or more hours a year maybe your coverage is better for them (I’m not sure)
    Who’s going to pay their health care in the winter when they’re not working?
    Are you planning on paying 100% of the premiums?

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  6. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

The consensus was if we offered insurance and they didn't get to keep their crappy Gov't. insurance they would have to look for another job so we didn't offer it. Then again almost all of them live check to che I and don't really care.

7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

We were told the same thing. If we offer health benefits, the guys will be worse off. Ours will cost more and be worse coverage than the poor person insurance (I always confuse Medicaid and Medicare) that they currently use unless covered by a spouse.

I had thought it would be a good benefit to offer but not so much. Maybe if we were a big company that would be different.

m_ice likes this.
  8. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think they would be getting the free healthcare if they are working, but maybe it differs from state to state on income guidelines, I am not sure. From what I know about my state is that poor working class can get a subsidy and get a cheaper monthly payment. Which would be the best case I guess, since the free healthcare (Medicaid) is not really insurance, but simply a loan from the government and if you have assets the government can take them to pay your medical bills.

9. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Botson insurance, they specialize in the green industry

10. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I don't know what they're actually paying now. NY has their own thing going on. I do know one of our employees is paying $20 month for health insurance. I wish I could get that deal :nono: