Lawn Care Forum banner

I need to vent

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  YardPro 
#1 ·
2002 GMC was running real bad. Would almost stall at idle. Took it to mechanic. Explained we had a cracked exhaust manifold. Really? We just had that replaced last spring. He says that ain't right so he investifates further and says the hose had a pinhole in it so it was sucking in the outside air. So that is why it cracked the first time AND the second time.

No big deal replace it...he orders part...part is on NATIONAL BACKORDER!!!! Part finally shipped (apparently this past Monday). He ordered it on October 2nd or 3rd. 4 freaking weeks to get an exhaust manifold. No problem, we have a second truck.

On the 2nd I realize my brakes are pads are worn and need to be replaced. Replace both rears. On the 15th I hear my passenger side rear tire squaling really bad. Pull over and can't see anything. Jack up truck and remove tire. The damn brake caliper is missing a bolt. Okay let me go get one. I lost count after six places...4 dealerships to get the part...no one has it!!. Finally find one halfway across the state. I go get it place the bolt in and away I go. Back in business.

Last Wednesay 7 in the morning start truck up (BTW '04 Chevy 71k miles) and loud squaling noise from engine. Goes away after five minutes (Was waiting for windows to defrost). Drive about two miles and noise comes back even worse. Pull over open hood sure enough sounds as if the alternator is shot...Drive to the mechanic...he says yep bearings in the alternator are shot need to replace he alternator. 400 bucks and a few hours later its replaced.

Yesterday on the second job we put the truck in reverse to back the trailer up to load the equipment. Won't go in reverse. Find out passenger side brake is missing bolt as well. Jack it up pull tire off...not only is it missing brake we cracked the whole caliper off. Wind up cutting brake line, cripping the feed and disconnecting trailer.

Had to drive to the mechanics with front brakes only...GREAT!! What a fun trip that was. Spoke to mechanic he asks who did the brakes last? I did...he asked did you put locktite on the bolts.. I laugh (had to at this point) and said I've done my truck brakes before and never have I had to place locktite on the bolts...I guess I was lucky. Whatever, just fix it.

Had to call a contractor buddy of mine and see if I can borrow his truck to go get trailer. No problem I do that.

Man what a month...

Did I mention one of our enclosed trailers is in the shop getting body work performed, another can't be registered b/c the guy I bought it from never titled it (long story), single axle trailer has a problem with the springs and need to have that fixed, which leaves me with the dump trailer and nothing that can pull that!!!!!!weight:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

See less See more
#4 ·
Thats why I won't touch a Chevy.:laugh: LOL

That really sucks though good luck.

#9 ·
I got murphy's law in me...my brother and I have part Irish heritage.

Spoke to mechanic today at 2pm...parts still weren't in. They were UPSs yesterday should have the truck in working order by tomorrow afternoon...provided parts came in today...fingers are crossed.

I just got back from picking up my parents Toyota Sequia. Its the only person I know with a vehicle big enough to fit some of my leaf cleanup stuff. I took the rear seats out and folded up the middle seats. I have two push blowers in there, three backpack blowers, a carryall barrel, and two gas cans.

Man are we going to look like the freakin lawnboy wannabee's tomorrow!!

Anyone in central jersey can give a honk and wave and laugh at us tomorrow:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#12 ·
The manifold thing really sucks. I just replaced the alternator in mine for $160 and only took 1 hour tops. How many miles on the old brakes? Sounds like your mechanic messed these up losing the bolts. Sometimes it really hits the fan. Don't let it get you down b/c you'll find more and more things go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.