I put a Briggs 17.5 on a scag walk behind. How to wire pto!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CHRISTOPHER B Perry, Oct 22, 2019.

1. CHRISTOPHER B Perry

CHRISTOPHER B Perry LawnSite Member
    from NC

I need to know to wire up pto clutch??

2. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

First question, do you have the rest of the engine wired up? If not, you need to get both old and new engine stator wiring diagrams and match up wires. Second question, how was the PTO wired with the old engine? If old wiring is intact, shouldn't be difficult. Do a YouTube search for Taryl fixes all, he did a video on an engine swap wiring that made the procedure very simple to understand. Good luck.let us know how you make out.

BigFish likes this.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Please give a full and accurate description of the problem you are having and what you have already done to correct the problem. It will also benefit you to post all model and specification numbers off your equipment.
    Machine problem - machine numbers.
    Engine problem - engine numbers. (What charging/ stator setup is on it )

This will aid in letting everyone know exactly what equipment you have and to give you a quicker and more accurate response to the problem at hand. We do have some Service Technicians here on Lawnsite and some have Technical Support at their fingertips but need model numbers to access proper information.
    Thanks For Reading.
    Good Luck

4. OP
    OP
    CHRISTOPHER B Perry

from NC

5. OP
    OP
    CHRISTOPHER B Perry

from NC

I went from a Kohler Command 15 horsepower. To a 17.5 Briggs intek. I have been watching taryl s video s. He is smart on things. The command blew up and took everything with it inside the motor. I have messaged Briggs and they keep sending me to the website
    Witch I can't find my intek. The I looked at the scag diagram and cant figure out which wires to connect. This is a hand recoil motor. No electrical start. I eliminated the anti backfire plunger and turn the gas off when i am done. Just to get it running.

6. OP
    OP
    CHRISTOPHER B Perry

from NC

7. JoeRagMan

Not sure what to tell you, does the mower have an electric clutch? If it does, you will need to change the Briggs engine parts so it can provide power to the clutch. Might be easier to find another used engine from a junked lawn tractor that has electrical system built in already. Manufacturers built engines with a charging system that provides enough power for the PTO. Recoil start and no battery. Simple but not too many of those engines around. Most lawn tractors have a battery and electric starter, no recoil.
    Good luck and let us know what you end up doing,

CHRISTOPHER B Perry and hal like this.
  8. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing required from a pto clutch is the clutch itself, and then the switch. A pto clutch can be put on any engine that uses an electric start.

CHRISTOPHER B Perry likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    CHRISTOPHER B Perry

from NC

After extensive testing. I took the red coming off the regulator to the yellow wire going back up to the PTO. Then I connected the white wire to a ground. Then it started working. This was my first swap .

Greencuts518 and Breezmeister like this.
  10. JoeRagMan

Great, good job and thanks for the follow up.

CHRISTOPHER B Perry likes this.