Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Theres a guy who mows my neighbors yard who does this and I never understood why, except maybe because he's cuttin' in the morning and wants to give some extra time for the morning dew to burn off.

Reactions: Youngandfree

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
What's dumb is for someone to come on here and act like an expert on everything and tell everyone else how it should be done.

Everyone has their own method. What's it matter to you? I prefer to trim first for the reason mentioned above and for a few others as well. The only thing in your OP that is right is that it ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its all about perspective. As long as it looks good when you leave a job, doesn't matter how one mow's a lawn. Sometimes, trimming tall grass and edging can create quite a mess, and you must mow afterwards to mulch the clippings up. I If I mow first then trim last, it could leave a mess behind that requires more time getting the mower out again. Sometimes, depending on the shape of the yard and obstacles , trimming first can make the job easier. If I am tired, I will trim first so I can mow, blow and leave, trimming is the hottest part of the job. If I am doing a spiffy job, I will trim and edge first, then blow all the clippings into the lawn, then, mow, then blow again! Super duper Spiffy!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just this year have switched to mow first. It has encouraged me to get a little closer with the mower, so there's less trimming afterward.

I'm torn 50/50. I like doing the harder part first, then sitting & resting on the mower after.

But I also like mowing first, and then having the option to skip trimming various areas where it isn't needed- especially as things slow down when it's dry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
We run Walker GHS mowers. We trim first, edge, blow off walks, then mow with the vacuum mowers. (For those not familiar with a GHS Walker.) Sometimes if the grass is heavy I will blow the walks a second time, but not always. We do it in that order so the mower can vac up all the grass and debris on the yard for perfect finish. If we mowed then trimmed, there would be dead grass lying around everything. We found the same thing when we blew the walks off last.

Gotta find what works best. Personally I prefer to trim first even when using a discharge mower. I think it looks better.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Holy crap. When I first came on this forum, all the "pros" were talking down to anyone who dared to trim AFTER mowing because a "pro" knows exactly where is mower can and can not reach, and he trims FIRST, so the clippings get mowed over. LOL

I do it when the grass is tall, but otherwise, I trim afterwards.
I don't really give a crap what anyone else thinks I should do, I just do what's best for the task at hand.

I love this place. "Pros"... always good for a laugh.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just this year have switched to mow first. It has encouraged me to get a little closer with the mower, so there's less trimming afterward.

I'm torn 50/50. I like doing the harder part first, then sitting & resting on the mower after.

But I also like mowing first, and then having the option to skip trimming various areas where it isn't needed- especially as things slow down when it's dry.
good points

in terms of 'mowing is easier than trimming' though, either way it all has to get done.

I trim, then blow everything onto the lawn including what was trimmed of course, street leaves or debris like oak catkin, then mulch mow it, and then follow up with a quick blow and it looks clean.

If you mow every 5 days or something and thus the grass clippings from trimming are small it doesn't really matter though, and if there's no oak catkin or leaves etc in the street gutter etc.

I actually sort of enjoy trimming and hate blowing.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Been trimming first since day 1. Main reason is I do not like footprints in the lawn after it's mowed. If I am going through the effort to stripe and double cut to disperse clippings, lawn will look top notch when I leave. No footprints!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
also run walkers and trim first here. I edge last (hard surfaces). IMO- I love when you don’t see rolled or folded edges so this keeps things extra crispy. First edge of the season I will do before mowing but yes- keep all that dead grass off my lawns please.
Also, trimming first generally requires one person to essentially walk the property first- good habit.

1 - 20 of 294 Posts