Lawn Care Forum banner
281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
I thought of this thread today.

I have been mowing for a guy since 2010 and he asked if I would be interested in mowing at his mother's place.
He bought her a new home in a new housing development. Apparently it's a HOA and they all pay a fee to have their lawns maintained. The customer is not happy with the outfit they use, so he's happy to pay me to mow it instead of them.
From what I'm hearing (from other people walking by), a lot of other people are not happy with the company who maintains their lawns.

Anyway... when I stopped to mow today, I started mowing, and noticed that someone had already "trimmed" (I would call it scalping) the perimeter of the house and the outside of the fenced in back yard before realizing they weren't supposed to do that house any more. Haha!

As butchered as it is, I probably still won't need to trim next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's dumb is for someone to come on here and act like an expert on everything and tell everyone else how it should be done.

Everyone has their own method. What's it matter to you? I prefer to trim first for the reason mentioned above and for a few others as well. The only thing in your OP that is right is that it ain't rocket science.
I agree

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Ha. My neighbor scalps a trench around everything.
I tried explaining it to him, but how do you tell a man that he sucks at doing a "man's job".

He even "trims" (digs a trench) across the space where the gate opens - where the mower rolls through!
He opens the gate and proceeds to "trim" across the area where the gate would be when it's closed! So there's a literal trench of scalped grass that spans the opening.
And he shuffles.
I want to stick forks in my eyes watching him trim.
I had to find this post so I could add a photo.
Usually, you can see the scalped trench along the plant side too.
By the way, he trims first - whether it needs trimmed or not.
If there's no grass tall enough to trim... trim the dirt, I guess.
Plant Green Grass Terrestrial plant Evergreen

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I don't "need" and edger for my weekly cuts. I could easily edge with my string trimmer, but I choose to use a steel blade as it provides a higher quality finish. It is required doing badly neglected clean up jobs to "find" the sidewalks and driveways if you will. I'm fully aware there are many different turf types, and different tools for different jobs. I steel blade edge all walks/drives and concrete/grass interface. But the beds/gardens or any grass/dirt/mulch interface gets "edged" with the string trimmer. This is not the fastest, but it sure is the best quality. That I need. Your apologies, not so much.
As said above, things are different in different areas. I have one account that I use an edger blade on. Exactly One. It's the only one with a concrete sidewalk. Concrete isn't much of a thing here.

·
Registered
25,764 Posts
I would be hard pressed to think of an account I have without any concrete edges to tend. Our creeping grasses here also require maintenance every visit, at least as far as I’m concerned.
Not many concrete edges here either
The biggest creeping grass here is crab in the middle of summer

281 - 294 of 294 Posts