I suddenly have ignition noise in my Work Tunes

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
Did a search and couldn't find anything on this subject.

The ignition noise in my headset (FM radio) just started for no obvious reason that I can come up with. My (3-5 yr old) grand kids played with the headset for a couple of days before the noise started, but I don't think that had anything to do with the problem I'm now having. I also haven't done any changes to the mower's wiring, other than mounting (2) 36 watt LED's headlights on it.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks, Stan
PS. Just realized that I haven't cked anything but FM (for the noise)....I'll ck other functions.

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
Wish I could tell you there's an easy solution but the fact is these engines just aren't designed to be ran while the operator is listening to tunes, the noise you're hearing is static coming off the coil wire, you might check and make sure the boot over the plug isn't cracked but much beyond that there's not a whole lot doing.

OP
S

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
Wish I could tell you there's an easy solution but the fact is these engines just aren't designed to be ran while the operator is listening to tunes, the noise you're hearing is static coming off the coil wire, you might check and make sure the boot over the plug isn't cracked but much beyond that there's not a whole lot doing.

Thanks for the reply Herler.

I should have mentioned that the engine is a 26hp LC Kawi.

Yeah, I'm thinking a coil may be going bad. The "noise" just showed up one day....I really can't even remember exactly when it happened....I just happened to notice it one day, seemingly out of nowhere.

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this, but if not, the source may become apparent when 1 cylinder eventually drops out. :laugh:

Thanks again, Stan

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I used to have a 78 f150 that did that…came over the speakers, not the head phones, got worse when I turned on the CB

GoPappy

LawnSite Bronze Member
. . . My (3-5 yr old) grand kids played with the headset for a couple of days before the noise started, but I don't think that had anything to do with the problem I'm now having. . . .

Occam's Razor: "When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

The simpler theory here is that the grandkids buggered something up. It was working fine, then the kids played with it, and now it's not working fine.

You may now have an exposed wire that used to be shielded, and it's picking up the interference.

zx14

LawnSite Bronze Member
It's not always the ignition. I have an electric clutch that does it on mine. The wire might not be making a good connection. You also might run the mower in total darkness to see if you have a bad plug or coil wire also.

OP
S

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
Occam's Razor: "When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

The simpler theory here is that the grandkids buggered something up. It was working fine, then the kids played with it, and now it's not working fine.

You may now have an exposed wire that used to be shielded, and it's picking up the interference.

You may very well be right since the timing is the way it is. I just don't want to lay it off on them because, if you happen to be a grandfather yet ("Pop's" in my case), you know that grand kids can do no wrong!!! :laugh::laugh:

I'll look closer at the headset.
Thanks for the reply! Stan

OP
S

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
I used to have a 78 f150 that did that…came over the speakers, not the head phones, got worse when I turned on the CB

Sounds like I had a similar situation to yours.

In 1980 I bought a '70 F150 Ranger (black short wheel base) from a close friend of mine and had it completely restored (frame off). Right after the restoration I installed a really nice stereo system in it, but was disappointed to find it had ignition noise in it. For several months I tried every remedy/trick I could come up with but the sound stayed the same....not even a slight difference.

But finally, through trial and error, I noticed that there was no noise when the stereo unit was pulled out of it's mounting place some, but occurred every time when it was installed into its place in the dash. I finally determined that the noise was coming from the wiring harness that was almost touching the rear of the stereo when the stereo was installed.

So, I ended up running the wiring harness on the other side of the firewall (outside the cab in the engine compartment) and that completely eliminated the noise! Things like this can be hard to figure out sometimes.....it'll make a man talk plum ugly!! :cry:

But all ended well, I ended up keeping that truck as a daily driver for 23 yrs.

Thanks for your reply! Stan

OP
S

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
It's not always the ignition. I have an electric clutch that does it on mine. The wire might not be making a good connection. You also might run the mower in total darkness to see if you have a bad plug or coil wire also.

That's a very good idea....I'll try that and post after I do!

Thanks for your reply! Stan

Top Forums