• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

I think I’m done with Scag

HPSInc

LawnSite Senior Member
Been running scag for 10 years now. Have a 7 mower fleet of Vrides and tiger cats. I am crazy with maintenance on ALL of my equipment. I don’t think even one of my scags is still on original hydros/wheel motors. They range in hours from 229-1400 and everything in between. I’ve always accepted that broken stuff is part of the biz. However my Tiger cat with ONLY 229 hours had a “catastrophic failure” of a hydro that then wiped out a wheel motor. I brought it to the dealer because I in no way expected it to be something like that. I thought perhaps air got in the system and I couldn’t bleed it out. Well that wasn’t the case. My dealer gave me a break on labor and the best cost they could, so they said, on the parts. The mower is out of warranty now but seldom used however at only 229 hours and a loyal scag customer for years I was hoping Scag corporate would step up. My dealer stated than once in awhile they see something like this happen with a hydro pump. I went back and forth on the phone with Scag, agreeing that yes it’s out of warranty so I know it’s my problem, however...this is still rediculous...In fact they doubted my mower even had such low hours. I told them to ask the dealer if it looked like a 200 hour machine or a 2000 hour machine and get back to me. They then suggested the hydro pumps are used in several mowers of different brands so it’s more an issue for the pump manufacturer to which I stated, if these pumps are used in YOUR mowers you should still stand behind it. I followed up and scag reluctantly offered $250 towards my $2000 repair bill. Better yet I have a second scag at the dealer as well that needed a hydro. So now I get to dump another 3 grand into hydro repairs. Last summer I was months out of warranty and another Vride puked a wheel motor, and I did another hydro just a month before that. The dealer even jokes about how I’m always in there replacing these parts. Yea it’s super funny let me tell ya. But I get where they are coming from. I declined Scags $250 offer because to hell with that honestly...some might disagree with me being so sour but I don’t know anyone who would be happy replacing such parts with only a touch over 200 hours on their $10,000 mower. I’m considering offing all my scags and switching to Ferris for this season.

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
Im with scag soley because ferris dont import their stand ons into my country atm. I only pay attention to stand ons. But ferris look like they make superior stand ons hands down. The z3x looks like it craps all over the vride2. Being ahead with stability, comfort and power. I think the cut quality is almost identical aswell.

so if you have the option to switch to ferris. What are you waiting for. Do it.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Been running scag for 10 years now. Have a 7 mower fleet of Vrides and tiger cats. I am crazy with maintenance on ALL of my equipment. I don’t think even one of my scags is still on original hydros/wheel motors. They range in hours from 229-1400 and everything in between. I’ve always accepted that broken stuff is part of the biz. However my Tiger cat with ONLY 229 hours had a “catastrophic failure” of a hydro that then wiped out a wheel motor. I brought it to the dealer because I in no way expected it to be something like that. I thought perhaps air got in the system and I couldn’t bleed it out. Well that wasn’t the case. My dealer gave me a break on labor and the best cost they could, so they said, on the parts. The mower is out of warranty now but seldom used however at only 229 hours and a loyal scag customer for years I was hoping Scag corporate would step up. My dealer stated than once in awhile they see something like this happen with a hydro pump. I went back and forth on the phone with Scag, agreeing that yes it’s out of warranty so I know it’s my problem, however...this is still rediculous...In fact they doubted my mower even had such low hours. I told them to ask the dealer if it looked like a 200 hour machine or a 2000 hour machine and get back to me. They then suggested the hydro pumps are used in several mowers of different brands so it’s more an issue for the pump manufacturer to which I stated, if these pumps are used in YOUR mowers you should still stand behind it. I followed up and scag reluctantly offered $250 towards my $2000 repair bill. Better yet I have a second scag at the dealer as well that needed a hydro. So now I get to dump another 3 grand into hydro repairs. Last summer I was months out of warranty and another Vride puked a wheel motor, and I did another hydro just a month before that. The dealer even jokes about how I’m always in there replacing these parts. Yea it’s super funny let me tell ya. But I get where they are coming from. I declined Scags $250 offer because to hell with that honestly...some might disagree with me being so sour but I don’t know anyone who would be happy replacing such parts with only a touch over 200 hours on their $10,000 mower. I’m considering offing all my scags and switching to Ferris for this season.
Exmark/Toro was having longevity in their hydro components years ago. Switching to an oil formulated for them specifically pretty much took care of those issues.

Something is amiss to have that many problems. Overheating, etc.

Sorry to you have to endure so much cost out of pocket.

Maybe keep buying them but sell as soon as the warranty expires?

OP
H

HPSInc

LawnSite Senior Member
Something is definitely wrong with scags hydros. In my case for sure. Every hydro and wheel motor I’ve had to replace has been a right hydro or right side wheel motor. All of them. Dealer wanted me to replace both hydros on both mowers but I’m not doubling down on repair costs. I’ve lucked out so far replacing the right hydros and getting back in action. For once all my scags will be up and running. During mowing season I can’t go a week without 1 of my zero turns being down. It’s literally insane to me. It’s not like I’m neglecting them or beating them to death. They are all relatively low hour machines that keep crapping out hydros, wheel motors, having electrical problems, bad starters...it seems to never end. Time for a change. I’m over these things. I’m going to pick my scags up from the dealer and sell every last one of them before the season pops off. Fun fact, my dealer offered me $1500 for each of my mowers, less if they need “anything”. I guess I could tell them they can just keep my vride since I owe them $1300 on that mower right now!

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Something is definitely wrong with scags hydros. In my case for sure. Every hydro and wheel motor I’ve had to replace has been a right hydro or right side wheel motor. All of them. Dealer wanted me to replace both hydros on both mowers but I’m not doubling down on repair costs. I’ve lucked out so far replacing the right hydros and getting back in action. For once all my scags will be up and running. During mowing season I can’t go a week without 1 of my zero turns being down. It’s literally insane to me. It’s not like I’m neglecting them or beating them to death. They are all relatively low hour machines that keep crapping out hydros, wheel motors, having electrical problems, bad starters...it seems to never end. Time for a change. I’m over these things. I’m going to pick my scags up from the dealer and sell every last one of them before the season pops off. Fun fact, my dealer offered me $1500 for each of my mowers, less if they need “anything”. I guess I could tell them they can just keep my vride since I owe them $1300 on that mower right now!
Sounds like a design flaw in the hydro system. Not necessarily pump/wheel motor related. The root cause may be elsewhere.

prezek

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m a Scag guy and have had my share of hydro problems. Usually north of 1200 hours I’d say. If you do stick with Scag, you have to do the work yourself. Wheel motors are simple to replace. Hydros a little bigger pain.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Senior Member
I run 5 Gravelys, 3 of them have right about 2000 hrs, the 2 newest have 500 and 200 hrs never replaced a hydro yet. Have had 2 engines replaced under full warranty. Kawi covered both. Other than that just normal wear and tear.
^This.

I'm on my second Gravley.