I think I need to inspect my truck...

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I was out running errands in the town north of me yesterday. I hit the ATM and liquor store in the same shopping plaza, then went up the road a 1/4 mile to the convenience store. On the way back I saw a tire and wheel laying a couple of feet into the road. Pulled back into the shopping plaza lot so I could get it out of the road. But another passer-by stopped in another parking lot across the road, rolled it out of the road and leaned it up against a telephone pole. It looked familiar, so I got out of my truck and looked under the bed where the spare is mounted. Oops, it's mine! I headed across the road and loaded it up.

Damn that's rusty! The whole mount rusted right off. I think I'd better get under there and see how bad things are. You think?
IMG_20210718_182126417.jpg
IMG_20210717_184132999.jpg

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
2003 Silverado 2500 HD. It's been plowing in the northeast since 2006. State DOT uses liquid magnesium chloride on the roads and it's brutal on cars. No annual inspections.

Here's what happened to my 2001 Silverado 1500 a few years ago.
It was 16-17 years old when this happened.

Hitch rotted through on one side. Other side still solid.
Luckily it let loose at 5mph as I was pulling to the curb at a customer's house and not 5 minutes prior when I was on the highway!

Frame rot is mostly why I had to get rid of it at age 19 last fall.

OP
F

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member

Luckily it let loose at 5mph as I was pulling to the curb at a customer's house and not 5 minutes prior when I was on the highway!

Yikes! Yeah that's the kind of thing I'm afraid of. I do spray fluid film under it on occasion but only the areas that I can reach without climbing under it.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Platinum Member

Safety chains are pointless when this happens. o_O

fritowrdo

LawnSite Fanatic
As long as no one got hurt, that is the main thing.

Buddy of mine had an older truck and never had an issue with tires and one day had to use the spare. Could not get it down. Had to have it towed.

I took his issue as a lesson and made sure I could get it down and that the tire is good and works. Replaced the tire as it was 9 years old.

And that steel rim is a big heavy pain in the rear.

Hope it works out for OP.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Platinum Member
As long as no one got hurt, that is the main thing.

Buddy of mine had an older truck and never had an issue with tires and one day had to use the spare. Could not get it down. Had to have it towed.

I took his issue as a lesson and made sure I could get it down and that the tire is good and works. Replaced the tire as it was 9 years old.

And that steel rim is a big heavy pain in the rear.

Hope it works out for OP.

I had this happen to my 04 4runner. Good thing I wan in my drive and had tools. Sometimes the wire on the spool gets tangled and rusted. Pulling down on the tire can help (did me) and then I lubed the piss out of it. :nod:

Top Forums