I think I over greased scag deck spindles...??

GreenMan3000

LawnSite Member
I have a 2015 Scag Tiger Cat, was doing lubrication PM's and when I greased the deck spindles I greased until grease was coming out the opposite side the spindle of the zerk. Is this normal or did I blow the seal? I assumed it was the overfill release valve, because the grease always came out the opposite side the zerk was on...any help appreciated. Also, how often you guys grease your scags?

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
I grease mine every 25-35 hours I would guess. I pump it until it comes out the weep hole. I use a high speed grease. Lucas I believe, it's green. Expensive, so I only use it on the spindles and use regular heavy duty grease on everything else. I used to use the regular heavy duty grease on spindles, but it doesn't hold up well.

OP
G

GreenMan3000

LawnSite Member
I think i have lucas as well, its a medium green color, damn scag has 18 grease ports lol i was planning to just grease everything every 40-50 hours

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
I think i have lucas as well, its a medium green color, damn scag has 18 grease ports lol i was planning to just grease everything every 40-50 hours
If you think that is obnoxious you don't want to own a walker.

I still can't remember how many zerks ours had. More than I can keep track of obviously.

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
The grease 'relief valve' is opposite the zerk fitting and what you are seeing is normal as the others have confirmed. It IS possible to displace the upper spindle seal IF the relief valve gets clogged/fails.

Sometimes the grease will seep past the upper seal (if you're lucky) but the pressure can dislodge it too.

To prevent that from happening....I always 'stake' my seals when replacing spindles. Just 3 spots (120°apart).

I usually grease my spindles about every 20-25 hrs.

Spindles_c.jpg

Spindles_b.jpg