I think I'm over watering but I'm scared to stop

j4bs4209333

LawnSite Member
I'm in the Boston area and my lawn is in full sun from dawn til dusk. It's black beauty sod that was done in Oct 2017. It's green from a short distance away but once you walk on it you can see the problem. If I take a de-thatching rake I can pull up huge piles of this dead stuff, but I don't think it's a thatch issue because it's still rooted. Yesterday I pulled out a plug in a problem area and the soil is pretty saturated at least a few inches deep. Can this mess be due to me over watering? I'm scared to stop and have it dry out. I very rarely see mushrooms and it's never sloshy. I fertilize 4 times a year. It's pretty consistent throughout the entire yard but some spots are a little worse. There's one area along the fence and another along the side of the house that are nearly perfect, but those areas get shade and the rest doesn't. I don't know if it's too much water or just heat related. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

g.jpg

IMG_20190804_103455781.jpg

IMG_20190804_103501110.jpg

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
How often are you watering? What it needs is a long watering one day and then skip the next one or two. What are your temps and humidity?

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
You can usually tell when the grass is thirsty. The blades tend to dull in color and they look on the weak side. As Hal stated a good soaking with periods of absence is good. The dry periods help the roots take a deeper hold in the soil. If it's always moist they never really get a strong hold. For instance my grass (St. Augustine) needs about an inch of water a week. You can research what is best for your grass and place a cup in the yard and measure how much water is in it after you water to gauge how much you are putting down.

OP
J

j4bs4209333

LawnSite Member
How often are you watering? What it needs is a long watering one day and then skip the next one or two. What are your temps and humidity?
I'm almost afraid to answer because I know its too much. 4 zones daily starting at 5am 30 min for 2 and 45 min for the middle zone. The side zone is in a shaded area so that gets 15 mins. I have two small areas that the sprinklers pretty much Miss and those are in desperate need of water but they don't look like what is in the photos you can tell those are dry. The temperature has been anywhere in the 80s up to nearly 100 for a couple days. We've had about a week or two of oppressive humidity but otherwise not bad.

OP
J

j4bs4209333

LawnSite Member
You can usually tell when the grass is thirsty. The blades tend to dull in color and they look on the weak side. As Hal stated a good soaking with periods of absence is good. The dry periods help the roots take a deeper hold in the soil. If it's always moist they never really get a strong hold. For instance my grass (St. Augustine) needs about an inch of water a week. You can research what is best for your grass and place a cup in the yard and measure how much water is in it after you water to gauge how much you are putting down.
Thanks. I will check what the particulate type needs for water and measure it with a cup. I get nervous though because sprinklers (Rainbird Maxipaw) tend to go light in some areas and heavier in some, or more likely it's all in my head. It makes sense what you're saying that it will never get a strong hold. I have had to dig up a couple areas and the roots were not really deep, they were more like a twisted spider's web about an inch or so deep. I think I am my own worst enemy here.

OP
J

j4bs4209333

LawnSite Member
So if I ignore the voices in my head telling me to water obsessively should I let it dry out first and then figure out a better schedule?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
With those temps and humidity plus lots of moisture you are headed towards fungus city, fast. You should be watering about 3 times during the week during stress time and about 2 times a week during growth time. Google your grass type and find out how much water is needed. Your start time is fine. Maybe a little longer, 5 to 10 minutes, per zone in the sunny areas every other day.

OP
J

j4bs4209333

LawnSite Member
With those temps and humidity plus lots of moisture you are headed towards fungus city, fast. You should be watering about 3 times during the week during stress time and about 2 times a week during growth time. Google your grass type and find out how much water is needed. Your start time is fine. Maybe a little longer, 5 to 10 minutes, per zone in the sunny areas every other day.
Thanks. Do I wait and let the soil dry out a little first? Or start 3x a week right away?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You can do it right away, you can also contact a nearby sod company and ask them more specific questions.