I thought I was a genius....

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
That's a great way to start. Fertilization can get you in the door. No license is required to apply in Texas as long as it isn't combined with any pesticide, this includes weed killers.

Here's some fertilizer info for Texas.

Once you're licensed for pesticides you can upsell your clients on these services.
You defiantly want to contact and join https://texasturf.com/ to learn more.
Have you considered mowing to get you familiar with residential lawn care ?

OP
L

ldgreene9

LawnSite Member
I’ve thought about getting some yards for sure. I’ve done yard care in the past throughout high school and college so it’s something I feel comfortable with. I will definitely take the advice and join in on that site and do some reading with the link you sent. If this is a viable business opportunity, I will for sure work on the licensing and business aspects that would be required. That’s the kind of info I was looking for, thanks again!

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Probably will take longer acquiring the knowledge to pass the test than it will for them to schedule you. Our state has an herbicide only exam that excludes fungicides and pesticides. I studied hard for 2 months to pass. If you have to know all three categories I'd say 4 to 6 months of studying to pass depending on how much you already know and how hard the test is.

You charge by the sq foot and have a stop charge as well. Currently mine is $45 stop charge and 3.50-4.00 /1000sqft. I service okc and Tulsa and have no problem attaing/retaining customers at those price points.

what stops the average “ lawn guy” to do it legally is the licensure, mandatory record keeping and mandatory insurance. With my current licenses, I’m at $1500 before I start spraying in feb.

You include any first 1 or 3 k with you trip fee? I know some do and some don't. Just wondering.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Does Texas require working as a certified applicator for 2 years prior to being able to apply for a license like our state does? There was an education way that I did it. Just curious.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Probably will take longer acquiring the knowledge to pass the test than it will for them to schedule you. Our state has an herbicide only exam that excludes fungicides and pesticides. I studied hard for 2 months to pass. If you have to know all three categories I'd say 4 to 6 months of studying to pass depending on how much you already know and how hard the test is.

You include any first 1 or 3 k with you trip fee? I know some do and some don't. Just wondering.
No.I do not.
The biggest problem I see is the flood of eddm cards offering the “$29.95 to spray your lawn”. What people fail to see and I point out is the asterisk and disclaimer that is for the first app and covers 8k sq ft. And o by the way you have to sign up for the 9 step program, your next bill will be $97!

Top Forums